"Police scientist" in UAE: binaural music is "digital drug", ban it

Sounds about right. In the minds of those who would prohibit any drugs, the idea that someone else might get to a state of mind they don’t understand or approve of is the major fear motivating them.

You guys are missing the point, it’s not about depriving the people of pleasure, it’s about making sure they aren’t distracted from their real purpose; ie. to remain good little consumers that work hard their whole life to serve the corporate masters. Imagine what would happen if people somehow came to the realisation that they didn’t really need all that junk, and that instead of working their lives away they could just sit around taking drugs, playing in virtual realities and listening to that damn rock-n-roll music. It just wouldn’t do. Now get back to work.

2 Likes

Band Name Suggestion: Audio Overdose

2 Likes

But… Policing brain states is what police are working towards already!

So this isn’t related to binaural recording at all?

I only ever listened to a few examples of these binaural beats, got bored and then put on some real music. :blush:

Nope, a different technique. Binaural recording records what is to be heard from “live” sound. Binaural music/beats is sound synthetized (often algorithmically, in-computer) for headphone listening to mix the desired frequency in-head, not unlike the radio-frequency heterodyning.

3 Likes

I hope they’re gonna ban scenes from Star Trek that take place in the engineering department too.

2 Likes

Police Science probably isn’t one of the hard sciences…

1 Like

I am…shocked…to discover that the UAE is not a hotbed of enthusiasm for hedonic optimization. Shocked, I tell you.

I was hoping they were going to try to determine by vivisection why there’s an overwhelming preponderance of cops who are power-tripping dumbarses.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother claiming that binaural beats have a drug like effect but I have a fair bit of experience with them.

They seem to have a more hypnosis-like effect than anything else—at least at soothing frequencies. At non-soothing frequencies, they work on my anxiety in a way that’s thoroughly unpleasant. They don’t work at all if I’ve subconsciously let the sound float into the background.

As to whether different ones really do anything discernibly different (except the anxiety-inducing frequencies), I’m fairly certain they don’t.

I suspect most of the people who didn’t get anything out of it were somewhat blocking it mentally. In much the same way that you can’t really be hypnotized if you’re fighting the hypnosis.

It’s not magic or otherworldly or whatever but it’s a damn sight nicer to sleep to than most white noise I’ve tried for the purpose.

2 Likes

‘When sounds of slightly different frequencies are played through each ear, the brain perceives a third “phantom” beat’

I guess I have been experimenting with overtones and psychoacoustics a lot longer than I thought. It kinda made me laugh, the ‘beats’ are what many musicians use to tune.

1 Like

It always has been. “Dangerous drugs” has never been about the relative health risks of, for example, THC vs nicotine or ethanol. If anything, safer drugs are more of a problem because you don’t pay for your pleasure with suffering.

1 Like

While 1/5th of people might not react to a pre-made gimmicky audio track, there is an actual science behind brainwave entrainment that is quite effective.

bi-aural beats are simply one of several techniques used to induce brainwave entrainment. a good setup will have flashing led light stimulation goggles used in conjunction with bi-aural beats and electrode stimulation and utilize an electrode EEG cap to measure resulting brainwaves, and ramp or adjust the frequencies to move from one brainwave state to another based on direct biofeedback from the brainwave measurements. with a legitimate setup you can record your brainwaves patterns and see exactly where they are at any given point in the session how effective these devices truly are. different wavelengths induce very different states of consciousness, from deep relaxation, to waking dream states, to increased energy, to agitation.

I’ve experienced very altered states using high end brainwave entrainment equipment. I have tried cheap-o iPhone brainwave apps, and while I can feel “something” with some of them, there are apples and oranges difference with a full setup and their effectiveness vary.

3 Likes

Insert jokes about singers/drummers here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.