Police use Tesla's autopilot to stop the car after drunk driver passes out

Originally published at: Police use Tesla's autopilot to stop the car after drunk driver passes out | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That’s awesome for the tech, and I’m glad it worked…

but if her husband was driving behind her and knew she was drunk then why driving at all???

25 Likes

Maybe she took off and he was following her, trying to get her to stop?

21 Likes

Yeah maybe something like that but damn…

10 Likes

Agreed. WTF?

10 Likes

Deliberately got drunk, deliberately got into the vehicle, and deliberately put it on autopilot, but sure, accidents happen.

9 Likes

My only surprise is that the Po Po didn’t shoot out one of the tires.

2 Likes

And the husband was driving in another car behind her rather than driving her home, and pick up the car later.

4 Likes

What does “TC’ing into the right shoulder wall” mean?

4 Likes

it means that the car ran into the right shoulder wall and started running up large repair bills.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that Tesla cars insist on having the driver keep hands on the steering wheel and the camera inside the rear-view mirror was also used to make certain the driver was paying attention or it would stop on its own. Is that not true?

Clearly not.

7 Likes

One presumes that if a consortium of highway and traffic police/constabulary came together to reasonably demand of Tesla/Musk to provide a wireless override of their "autopilot"ed vehicles they’d flatly refuse due to loss of sales on account of client fears of state conspiracy/hackers? (“Why do you ask questions which you already know the answer to?” …hm, i don’t know the answer to that question)

1 Like

My money is on “He was drunk too and thought it was a good idea at the time.” But who knows. :confused:

6 Likes

Remote control of a self driving car is the new icicle murder weapon.

8 Likes

winona-thats-good-point

2 Likes

Yep. Any technology that can be used by the police can also be used by criminals.

(But I repeat myself.)

8 Likes

Yeah. It pisses me off that I can predict the skin color of the driver based on that.

4 Likes

Roger That

1 Like

It’s a good thing they put a police car in front rather than a fire truck, though I guess that would also be a valid way to stop a Tesla running in Autopilot.