Political candidate's kids use his election flyers to fool his laptop's facial recognition lock

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/23/0fa.html

4 Likes

And this is precisely why biometrics are a terrible way to secure your personal devices. Once compromised, they’re only possible to change with great difficulty, with the added problem of having a third party storing your biometric data, probably insecurely.

19 Likes

I guess good thing he learned that he can have his computer unlocked like that before he is in office and not after…may want to check out his browser history.

4 Likes

He’s standing for re-election, he has been an MEP for the last five years.

6 Likes

He became suspicious when he noticed his laptop battery was low and that his kids were making an awful lot of snickering “furry” jokes around him lately.

7 Likes

Well now he can blame absolutely anything in his browser history on those pesky kids, so really this is not so much of an oopsie as a get out of jail free card. Other politicians should be taking notes!

16 Likes

facepalm.

yeah, i thought of that too.

1 Like

There’s always a work-around.

14 Likes

“I’m not sure whether to be proud by the wit or concerned by the sneakiness?”

Well, he is a politician’s child.

3 Likes

I too, want to see a video of this in action. One theory, though I think it would paint the kids as even more clever: they wait until Da nips off to the loo and then “re-train” the facial recognition using the poster… Honestly though, I tested around on this and could never get it to work. To the best of my knowledge though, that ‘hash’ of your facial features is stored in the TPM chip on the machine and does not translate. (I know, I know: that’s what “they” WANT you to think…)

We’ve come so far …

3 Likes

FaceOff_(1997_film)_poster

10 Likes

“I’m not sure whether to be proud by the wit or concerned by the sneakiness?”

I would go with option “C”, be upset over how easy it was for your computer to be accessed.

4 Likes

Unrepeated and unsubstantiated.

1 Like

Unlike the piece of paper.

2 Likes

I shall use a photograph of a dead warthog’s diseased butthole to unlock Trump’s facial recog-locked PC.

Thank you.

5 Likes

You mean this?

2 Likes

4 Likes