Politicians: Don't go public, or other pols can't trust you

Wow. This was actually said, out loud!

… former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith, who campaigned for Leave during the referendum, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that when a civil servant “starts going public”, ministers “can no longer trust that individual”

Like, for real! Public servants can’t speak to the public or they get “finished”!

9 Likes

I liked this bit from Rogers’ resignation email to his staff:

For my part, I hope that in my day-to-day dealings with you I have demonstrated the values which I have always espoused as a public servant. I hope you will continue to challenge ill-founded arguments and muddled thinking and that you will never be afraid to speak the truth to those in power. I hope that you will support each other in those difficult moments where you have to deliver messages that are disagreeable to those who need to hear them. I hope that you will continue to be interested in the views of others, even where you disagree with them, and in understanding why others act and think in the way that they do.

I wonder if Mrs T (May) spotted the subtext?

Experts, eh? Who needs 'em?

5 Likes

This is going to be like the hunt for WMD in Iraq, when three consecutive weapons inspectors in chief resigned over the fact that they were being asked to do something stupid for political reasons.

5 Likes

I think the subtext likely smacked her in the chops!

At least she appointed another civil servant to replace him and not Farage or Daniel Hannon. Small mercies, I guess.

2 Likes

We’re all doomed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.