Pooping in ancient Rome

Was just about to post this myself.

2 Likes

But of course they actually had cups and canteens or waterskins for their water rations.
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/58325
To the best of my knowledge, using sponges as a serving implement was not a thing.

4 Likes

Octopus up the poop chute.

That’s a nightmare I never would have come up with on my own.

3 Likes

I spent my high school years living in a dormitory with gang toilets. I didn’t take all that long to get used to shitting less than an arm’s length from two other guys shitting. It’s only weird if you make it weird - and a guy’s got to shit.

3 Likes

Pooping in Ancient Rome

Shit! I left the time machine on again, didn’t I?

Also:

1 Like

Can’t be any worse than festival porta-potties or pit-privies! The really gross bit it when you open the door and find that there’s a pile of shit up above the seat, because they haven’t been emptied!
Then some jackass pushes them over… :nauseated_face:
And no, I’m not making this up, it’s what I saw just across from my tent at the Reading Festival, back around’95-ish.
Festivals I’ve been to much more recently have improved dramatically, it has to be said.

2 Likes
6 Likes

That was the urinal style in my SoCal public elementary school in the 1970s. It was inside the boy’s bathroom, but it was a long ceramic open trough. I tell this to my kids and they’re horrified.

5 Likes

Veni, vidi, defeci.

6 Likes

The bathroom hand-washing station at my old high school bore more than a little resemblance to the trough-style urinals. It was a trough right at the right height in a semicircle, with water and soap dispensers at shoulder height.

1 Like

The administration building of the first university I tried (and didn’t like) still had those old urinals from the 1920s or so with the wide, shallow basins. It really raised the splatter factor.

Something like this:

4 Likes

Yes, we had something like that, but without the dividers.

Then another school had this:

4 Likes

Tiger Stadium right until they closed in '99.

Imagine being a kid barely able to reach sorounded by a bunch of drunk fans.

20220103_181516

4 Likes

A friend of mine said that in one pub that he went to the “urinal” was basically a sandy section of the floor. You did NOT want to pass out in that restroom.

1 Like

A company I used to work for had one of those in an electronics shop, but it was the full circle not a semicircle. Looked like a sad ornamental fountain. If only one person was using it, the full flow would come on anyway, colossal waste of water. The real problem though was one of the employees was obsessive about hand washing and this arrangement gave him the opportunity to observe everyone washing their hands. He would file complaints about specific fellow employees not being thorough enough with hand washing, and similar infractions. Couldn’t be persuaded that there was an expectation of privacy in the bathroom

2 Likes

It would be if you needed to reach someone nailed to a 3m high cross.

1 Like

Huh? The school I went to had that and I’m pretty sure still does? How is that horrifying?

3 Likes

Harold Ramis Dont Cross The Streams GIF by Ghostbusters

9 Likes

Wait, what?
You are not quoting Dylan Moran, I think.

Ah, I think know what you mean… Flachspüler, mayhaps?

2 Likes

Those Germans, they have a word for everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/6md029/toilet_bowls_of_europe_flachspüler/

4 Likes