Pop singer Avril Lavigne knighted in the Order of Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/08/pop-singer-avril-lavigne-knighted-in-the-order-of-canada.html

6 Likes

she paved the way for female-driven punk-rock music

I mean, did she? Did she really? There were at least a couple of women in rock before her. And some of them were even Canadian! Joni Mitchell comes to mind.

7 Likes

Does she get to carry a sword now?

10 Likes

Also, traditional British honours could no longer be bestowed upon Canadians. Conrad Black had to renounce his Canadian citizenship to become Baron Black of Crossharbour. (I don’t know why they let that non-Canadian convict back into the country, even with a Trump pardon.)

9 Likes

She couldn’t before?

7 Likes

I think she’s obliged to carry a sword to protect the citizens and peasantry of Canada as an actual knight.

10 Likes

:roll_eyes: Recipients of the Order of Canada are called Members, Officers or Companions of the Order of Canada depending on the level of honour. They are not and have never been called knights. The honour is more equivalent to the US Presidential Medal of Freedom than it is to a British knighthood.

14 Likes

Hang on a minute…

20 Likes

Well that’s less fun. Why’d you have to go and make things so complicaaaaaaated?

16 Likes

Not gonna lie, we are kind of lame up here.

I would consider her pop rock (with punk inclinations), though i say that not to detract from what she’s accomplished.

7 Likes

I really liked Skater Boy.

1 Like

The Muppets No GIF by ABC Network

There were even lots of punks before her… Alice Bag, Kathleen Hannah, the Slits, Poly Styrene, Siouxie, and so on… I don’t know as much about the Canadian punk scene, but I’m sure there were women in the scene there, too… Maybe consult Sam Sutherland’s book?

She’s fine, but she wasn’t particularly “punk” in general… More like trading on punk imagery.

12 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know you could get knighted in the Order of Canada posthumously. Or did they give it to her double, for her accomplishments?

2 Likes

Counterpoint:

3 Likes

Wasn’t it Al Gore?

6 Likes

When does Kittie get theirs?

3 Likes

it’s always interesting how people jump on avril, but not say, the blink 182 guys for being “not real punks” – folks claim to be feminist, but they tear apart successful women something fierce

absent creating a time machine to go back and get pissed on/off by the sex pistols most folks in my generation cannot be “true punks”, since it’s an inherently gatekeepy label that in my experience means if you haven’t bought the right merch, the right cds, the right clothes, you’re not anti-consumer enough. (???)

1 Like

Love me some Kittie. Back in the day when i was burning CDs to listen to on my discman i had two of their songs on constant rotation. Spit is probably my fave song of theirs

1 Like