Pop singer Avril Lavigne knighted in the Order of Canada

Biff Naked comes to mind. She was active for at least a good 10 years before Avril.

Or even Canadian contemporaries like Sum41 (who were almost like a Canadian Blink182 at times).

4 Likes

The British Commonwealth is an association of mostly former British colonies and territories. Canada was not a “commonwealth”. If you mean the last remaining member on the North American continent, Canada was always the only one.

Since Canadians have not been allowed to accept British honours since 1919, (with a few exceptions) the responsibility can’t have taken up all that much of her spare time.

Huh? Their (Canada’s) “own thing” was the system of honours, not Ms. Lavigne

As others have pointed out, recipients of the honours are not knights and are not given titles. They may wear the badge on a ribbon or a lapel pin.
Replica_Order_of_Canada_member_medal

Swords are not involved.

3 Likes

And Avril was also married to dated Sum41’s lead singer for a time!

Pedantically, I would argue that within the rules of punk-ness, there is absolutely a difference between an individual singer who gets noticed by an A&R rep at a talent contest, and three people starting a band in a basement, self-funding some independent releases, and then signed to a major label.

Ideologically though, you’re definitely right about the unfair double standards there. (Also, whether or not those Punk Rules have any inherent validity — especially given the reality of the Sex Pistols — is obviously a point that’s up for endless debate)

Curiously, as a teen growing up in that exact scene, I never thought twice about the punk credibility of a band like Goldfinger (whose only real sleeper hit came from a video game). Which is ironic, because John Feldmann funded Goldfinger by working a dayjob…as a major label A&R rep. And he’s since gone on to win a bunch of Grammys as a producer, including multiple albums now with … Avril Lavigne. Who sang on Goldfinger’s recent re-recordings from their first album!

Which is all to say that she’s clearly the real deal. Although I would like to hear her record a cover of this Goldfinger song…

2 Likes

I was making a bad joke, as is legally required of all USians when talking about Canada.

3 Likes

I saw Ted Nugent on a plane i had also boarded years ago, that song you posted sums up my feelings at the time.

2 Likes

More than that, they were married.

2 Likes

As far as I understand, every Canadian musician or actor has been in a relationship with every other Canadian musician or actor at some point in time. Except for John K. Samson, which is why he is Canada’s greatest cultural export.

3 Likes

I don’t know about your local scene but we definitely shit on blink 182 plenty too, don’t worry. They were truly the worst.

3 Likes

To be honest, I don’t either – I’m autistic, and the two times I went to an event I felt so excluded I didn’t go back.

I’ve had better experiences in other contexts – at protests or canvassing or just chatting in more of a “grown up” bar – but going to a live show? I felt more in danger of being beat up for being uncool than than nazi punks who allegedly are supposed to fuck off…

Maybe that’s why those venues don’t exist anymore in my hometown.

1 Like

wait, is gaming not punk? I feel like people forget that being a geek used to not be cool at all.

Gaming has gotten worse imho – I call it the Jurassic Park effect – in the 90s you have a girl who knows unix, decades later there’s busty evil park director who Just Wants To Be A Mom.

Anyways, all I’m saying is a lot of people who I knew in the 2000s who had little money, who lived in suburbs so couldn’t go to live shows, who grew up on the net pirating stuff and burning it to CD-Rs because we couldn’t afford an ipod or a big HD…

Also in my experience the people super all “oh you worked at X that’s not punk” had parents supporting their lifestyle. which is more punk? working at an EVIL CORPORATION and making art on the side that’s transgressive, or being supported by parents and making art that’s certainly sexual or aggresive but doesn’t challenge the neoliberal order?

anyways i’m kinda drunk, it’s my day off and i’m google street walking through the mission retracing my steps from my time in sf because of that skatboarding article… so take what i say with a grain of salt

but speaking as a hacker, i was always puzzled by the gatekeepign in the goth and punk scenes given unlike hacking, you’re not obtaining power, just… beats

1 Like

No, I just meant that “Superman” was never like, a huge radio hit that would be convertible into album sales / royalties for the band. People played Tony Hawk, and were like “hey this song is fun,” then forgot about it and moved on. (Until now, that we’re all old, and suddenly everyone remembers That One Goldfinger song)

Otherwise, I mean yeah, all your other concerns about punk rock gatekeeping are pretty spot-on now, even if people were culturally oblivious to them at the time…

3 Likes

The message i took from SLC Punk was given enough time we all become posers. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing

4 Likes

:metal::metal:
They have a new album out, too.

I had heard! I need to set time aside to listen to it

1 Like

I was part of this. I was stupider in my youth and I hope I’m better than that now. Part of that is owning this mistake.

Listening to blink’s era of pop punk isn’t one of those mistakes. That wasn’t a phase. But there are considerably more female fronted bands in my pop punk playlists. Including AL

Since 1949, when Newfoundland and Labrador joined Confederation.

2 Likes

It comes in waves. Siegue siegue sputnik “took selling out to an art form”, as a breakaway from Billy Idol.

I think some of the falling out was over the Cyberpunk album. I think one of the regular writers of this fine establishment has some connection to that album… Both Gareth B and Mark F.

That album was about 20-30 years ahead of its time, and has plenty of chaff that can be burned.

I’ll hit the slowdown if I reply directly to the other post, but someone said that unlike hacking, punk isn’t about gaining power. Oh no. Music and story are as close as we can get to source code for humans. Shouting down a mic that you’re angry that there’s money aplenty for guns and bombs, but none for kidney machines? That’s punk.

Even 90s/00s pop punk has its elements of countercultural drive. Skater culture is (was?) a maker culture. Liberalise drug laws. Green day causally saying that Billie Joe saw a male hooker who said his life’s a bore normalising bisexuality…

2 Likes

Oh, now you’ve done it…

3 Likes

From Wikipedia:
“These aspects to the relationship [the Commonwealth] were formalised by the Statute of Westminster in 1931, which applied to Canada without the need for ratification, but Australia, New Zealand and Newfoundland had to ratify the statute for it to take effect. Newfoundland never did as due to economic hardship and the need for financial assistance from London, Newfoundland voluntarily accepted the suspension of self-government in 1934 and governance reverted to direct control from London.”

(I don’t know exactly what this means. The term commonwealth was used informally much earlier. But pedantry is fun. :grin:)

1 Like

Via time travel? :thinking: I thought it was Dave Marsh?

Um… yes they do. Ask anyone who spent time in the punk scene, basically anything from Green Day on in the “pop punk” genre were sell outs who weren’t “real punks” but sellouts. I don’t think that Levine was every really considered “punk” even if she had some punk trappings. :woman_shrugging: No disrespect to Levine, but I don’t think she’s punk by either metric of whta we mean by “punk” (either part of a particular genre of music or by mode of production).

Sure, but most of the folks I listed were around in the 70s… :woman_shrugging:

There is a whole ecosystem of punk production that’s been around since the 80s at least… arguable the late 70s, those some of those are more commercial labels that saw an opportunity in punk (Sire, Virgin, etc). Compare that to say, DB records here in ATL, who did it for the love of music, not to gain a greater market share.

But a large part of the problem of the gatekeeping was WHO was doing the gatekeeping. it’s true it was often people with privilege, but not just of class, but of race and gender. Hardcore very much pushed out women, POC, and queer people who had to fight their way back into the scene and push back hard to be respected as part of the scene again. Lil Bill did a great video on Black punks a while back…

You should read the reviews of that movie in punk magazines… they hated it! For just that reason… And that’s an accurate description of the film, too. :grimacing:

Moi8Rpr

3 Likes