Pope Francis wants to change a line in the Lord's Prayer

NT Greek word that itself is the translation of an Aramaic word

Why do you think that the NT Greek texts are translations from Aramaic? That’s a common notion, but the mainstream scholarly understanding is that the NT was written in Greek to begin with. If you can point me to scholarly research to the contrary that would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

Does not lead but allows Free Will to decide. We been damned from the start.

3 Likes

Teh Ceiling Cat of us, whu haz cheezeburger, yu be spechul
Yu ordered cheezburgerz,
Wut yu want, yu gets, srsly.
In ceiling and on teh flor.
Giv us dis day our dalee cheezburger.
And furgiv us for makin yu a cookie, but eateding it.
And we furgiv kittehs who be steelin our bukkits.
An do not let us leed into teh showa, but deliver us from teh wawter.
Ceiling Cat pwns all. He pwns teh ceiling and teh floor and walls too.
Forevur and evuhr. Amen.

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Ceiling_Cat_Prayer

14 Likes

Illustrator: Sara Bowersock

8 Likes

It was god’s administration who gave the original security clearance to Lucifer.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a particularly horrible editing of the original words by them there.

Though trying to squish the polar opposites of the quite leftwing Jesus’ views in the bible with the polar opposite hard-right nastiness of modern politics is indeed quite a stretch to contort yourself around, so i imagine edits like these are necessary :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm. The version I’m familiar with would translate as “guilt”.

Anyway:

While we’re at it, why not change “Our Father” to “Our Creator” and cut out all the patriarchy male superiority nonsense. Males contribute a little DNA while females do literally everything else when it comes to bringing life into this world. Giving God a gender role is demeaning to half the population, and egomaniacaI narcissism from the men who write this stuff, which is itself the sin of unadulterated vanity. I would bet my afterlife that God has no genitalia.

4 Likes

OTOH, there’s a defensible argument that the real leftie of Jesus’ crew was Judas.

2 Likes

I was raised Catholic and we used a joint version with the Proteststants. “Dein ist das Reich” is in there.

Nowhere did I suggest that the NT was originally written in Aramaic.
Jesus spoke Aramaic, so at some point between him speaking and his words being recorded, they were translated into Greek. Anything he is recorded as saying, as in this case, must have gone through this process, or perhaps even via another language. That is not of course necessarily true for commentary, but even there it’s surely most likely that the original oral sources were Aramaic-speaking.

4 Likes

Our saucer which art in a colander, draining be Your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy meatballness be done on earth, as it is meaty in heaven. Give us this day our daily sauce, and forgive us our lack of piracy, as we pirate and smuggle against those who lack piracy with us. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us from non-red meat sauce. For thine is the colander, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. R’Amen.

8 Likes

“the Lord’s prayer” as a whole is a bit weird but compared to the grovelling nonsense of “the Prayer of Humble Access” it’s OK I suppose if you are into that thing. Old pope is right though that line never made any sense when I was on the fringes of the god squad (I got better, or worse depending on your POV)

Surely god created Satan to lead us into temptation though? The fact that he hasn’t waved his magic wand and made Satan disappear means he wants to lead us into temptation, something else he invented.

2 Likes

Man, your comment brings me back to my youth group discussions from when I was fifteen or sixteen. I can’t recall now how many of my peers were conflicted about this but I know I was, and vocally so.

In my last year or so as a Christian, I resolved the conundrum when I decided that Satan was a metaphor and that there really wasn’t an eternal personification of evil. Evil was a moral property of the universe. We created Satan in our image because so long as humans exist, so will evil. From this viewpoint, all this talk of ‘the evil one’ comes across as collective projection.

‘Deliver us from evil’ indeed.

3 Likes

Through the fire and through the flames, it won’t even say its name, only “I am that I am.”

Right? And on top of that, Jesus was a racist.

5 Likes

The Bible has updated it’s terms of service.

Please download our latest patch fix some minor issues with theology and free will.

By pressing OK you accept the TOS of “The Catholic Church INC” and accept Jesus Christ™ as your saviour.

3 Likes

The lord’s Prayer is Cathar in origin. The Cathars were genocidally exterminated by the Roman Catholic church.
The Pope is right according to this translation

Our father, which art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our supplementary bread,
And remit our debts as we forgive our debtors.

And keep us from temptation and free us from evil.
Thine is the kingdom, the power and glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Pater noster qui es in celis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum;
adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua sicut in celo et in terra.
Panem nostrum supersubstancialem da nobis hodie.
Et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in temptationem sed libera nos a malo.
Quoniam tuum est regnum et virtus et gloria in secula.
Amen.

"Cathars believed in reincarnation and refused to eat meat or other animal products. They were strict about biblical injunctions - notably those about living in poverty, not telling lies, not killing and not swearing oaths.

Basic Cathar Tenets led to some surprising logical implications. For example they largely regarded men and women as equals, and had no doctrinal objection to contraception, euthanasia or suicide. In some respects the Cathar and Catholic Churches were polar opposites. For example the Cathar Church taught that all non-procreative sex was better than any procreative sex. The Catholic Church taught - as it still teaches - exactly the opposite. Both positions produced interesting results. Following their tenet, Catholics concluded that masturbation was a far greater sin than rape (as mediaeval penitentials confirm). Following their principles, Cathars could deduce that sexual intercourse between man and wife was more culpable than homosexual sex. (Catholic propaganda on this supposed Cathar proclivity gave us the word bugger, from Bougre, one of the many names for medieval Gnostic Dualists)

In the Languedoc, known at the time for its high culture, tolerance and liberalism, the Cathar religion took root and gained more and more adherents during the twelfth century. By the early thirteenth century Catharism was probably the majority religion in the area. Many Catholic texts refer to the danger of it replacing Catholisism completely.

Catharism was supported or at least tolerated by the nobility as well as the common people. This was yet another annoyance to the Roman Church which considered the feudal system to be divinely ordained as the Natural Order (Cathars disliked the feudal system because it depended on oath taking). In open debates with leading Catholic theologians Cathars seem to have come out on top. This was embarrassing for the Roman Church, not least because they had fielded the best professional preachers in Europe against what they saw as a collection of uneducated weavers and other manual workers. A number of Catholic priests had become Cathar adherents (Catharism was a religion that seems to have appealed especially to the theologically literate). Worse, the Catholic Church was being held up to public ridicule (some of the richest men in Christendom, bejewelled, vested in finery, and preaching poverty, provided an irresistible target even to contemporary Catholics in the Languedoc). Worst yet, Cathars declined to pay tithes to the Catholic Church. As one senior Churchman observed of the Cathar movement “if it had not been cut back by the swords of the faithful I think it would have corrupted the whole of Europe.”

4 Likes

The Lord’s Prayer is in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. How could it be originally Cathar?

6 Likes