GOP Senator David Perdue leads prayer for Obama's death

[Read the post]

5 Likes

I think @Mindysan33 needs an update of her Bugs Bunny Florida gif. Doesnā€™t cut quite high enough up.

Of courseā€¦

27 Likes
31 Likes

65 Likes

[quote=ā€œfrauenfelder, post:1, topic:79513ā€]Hereā€™s more from the passage (New Living Translation):[/quote]Well, gee, thereā€™s scarcely any Bible passage that wonā€™t start to sound a bit strange if you put it in sufficiently wide context (though this one would definitely seem to be a particularly straightforward case).

3 Likes

Addressing God with a prayer for harm to another person instead of for his salvation is de facto performing a Black Mass.

49 Likes

However, we should add the media to our prayer list because they are pushing a narrative to create controversy and that is exactly what the American people are tired of.ā€

That is some quality smarm. I have to admit.

This fine fellow aside; the question of ā€˜imprecatory prayerā€™ is kind of an entertaining read. Itā€™s a matter of some controversy among various branches of Team Jesus, ranging from those who gleefully hope that the magic will actually work to those who suspect that asking the all loving prince of peace to kill people for them might not be entirely well thought out.

23 Likes

New Living Translation

The /what/ translation?

*looks up story of ā€œmodernizationā€ effort * ā€¦ eww.

Itā€™s important to keep all those old-timey words in the bible so people are reminded how out-of-touch it is.

10 Likes

Only if you shred a wicked bass riff while doing so. \__/

13 Likes

In a more general sense, I have a hard time with the whole concept of this kind of prayer. No, not the ā€œGod, harm my enemies oneā€, that, yes, I do. I mean, in general, all prayers that sound like a long list of DEMANDS you make of God, like he is your servant.

Oh Lord, do this, do that, take this, write down the other, scratch that other part, ensure this and that happens, and ā€¦

I just imagine the sky opens and some ray of light descend on them and a booming voice says:

ā€œAnd fuck you, Iā€™m God, you twat. Who do you think you are? Iā€™ll do what I please, and is starting to please me to give you a very hard case of genital herpes. You want all that stuff, you do it yourself, because Iā€™m not your fucking rented thug and I dont care about your petty stupid fightsā€

28 Likes

A Biblical line about removing the mote from oneā€™s own eye comes to mind.

(Specifically Matthew 7:3.)

20 Likes

Hey, weā€™re Americans, donā€™t try to tell us what we are and arenā€™t tired of. We can be tired of a lot of things. Being tired of things is kinda what we do.

5 Likes

Why go to the trouble of trying to locate some teeny little mote when you could just Matthew 5:29 the problem and eliminate all current and future motes?

3 Likes

Yup. ā€œConcubineā€ tends to be replaced in newer translations with ā€œhandmaiden.ā€ Implying a housekeeper, when the more accurate translation is ā€œsex slave.ā€

23 Likes

Also, from Wikipedia article about NLT:

The method combined an attempt to translate the original texts simply
and literally with a dynamic equivalence synergy approach used to convey
the thoughts behind the text where a literal translation may have been
difficult to understand or even misleading to modern readers.

Because people interpreting the ā€œthoughts behind the textā€ has certainly never lead to misunderstandingā€¦ and ā€œdifficult to understand?ā€ yeahā€¦itā€™s the ā€œword of god.ā€ Your brain is the size of two fists. Get over it.

6 Likes

If you have ever read THE HANDMAIDā€™S TALE, you can see where they are going with this.

19 Likes

Now that I want to see!

2 Likes

As far as Iā€™m concerned he can pray for God to strike me dead all he wants.

12 Likes

That line always makes me think of the novel ā€˜Carrieā€™ (which was much more horrific than the original movie); thereā€™s a flashback to an instance of the abuse that Carrie suffered at the hands of her insanely zealous mother:

At five years old Carrieā€™s mother catches her looking at their teenaged neighbor, who is sunbathing in the backyard next door. The girlā€™s top accidentally slips and exposes her bare breasts and Mrs White flips the fuck out; to the point that sheā€™s actually about to try to gouge out her own daughterā€™s eyesā€¦

And thatā€™s when Carrieā€™s powers actually manifest for the first time, whence she wills an immense hail of sleet to come crashing down on the White household.

11 Likes

Yā€™know someone recently asked me what Iā€™m so worried about with this particular election and whatā€™s at stake.

The Handmaids Tale is a prime example of what really worries me; a dismal future with no agency or hope for anyone, let alone women.

23 Likes