Pope invites Bernie Sanders to Vatican to speak about "social, economic, and environmental" issues

[Read the post]

4 Likes

It’s a trap, Bernie! He knows you’re Jewish!

Don’t say I didn’t warn you when the auto-de-fe starts.

15 Likes

Oh man, as if I didn’t hear enough conservative Protestant criticism on the new Pope already…

6 Likes

OMG THAT CRAZY OLD DUDE’S PLACE EVEN HAS A JEWISH GUY NAILED TO THE WALL.

24 Likes

And naked people painted on the ceiling of the church…

2 Likes

“Auto-da-fé, what’s an auto-da-fé?”

“It’s what you oughtn’t to do, but you do anyway”

10 Likes

The pictures of naked people at the Vatican are pretty tasteful.

If any church-ceiling-art is disturbing it’s probably the Duomo in Florence which depicts a bunch of demons raping the damned with flaming hot pokers.

4 Likes

Meanwhile:

Bernie Sanders is meeting with the Pope the same day Hillary Clinton is fundraising with a former Goldman Sachs executive.

27 Likes

Bosch is pretty hardcore, and while most of it is now in museums, it used to be in churches.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Everything about this story is just weird to me. Why Sanders? Why no other candidate? Why now? Is this being driven from the Vatican or from the Sanders side? What is the subtext here?

12 Likes

Yea, that shit is weird, man.
We were there in 2014 and seeing that stuff up close when you do the stairs is pretty bizarre. Also, we made the climb at 8am on a weekday in Sept and I still got super claustrophobic. I can’t imagine an afternoon in August.
Otherwise, Florence is pretty awesome… In fact, it’s damn beautiful.

2 Likes

…And this is why we’re seeing more and more frequent signs of desperation out of the Clinton camp. Funny how it smells like enflamed entitlement, though.

14 Likes

Must there always be a subtext?

Both are disgusted and appalled by today’s runaway inequality.

Why no other candidate? Because clearly, no other candidate shares that disgust.

24 Likes

That’s the name of my forthcoming book…

13 Likes

Not your new <a href=“https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/what-is-your-band-name-rapper-name-album-name/67032"target=”_blank">band name?

8 Likes

It’s America, can’t I do both! Fuck Yeah I can!

5 Likes

Nice bull moose!

3 Likes

Maybe not, but big orgs like the Vatican don’t do things without thinking through the public relations implications. Sure, the Pope is concerned about inequality, but is a high profile invitation to a US Presidential candidate during a campaign a good strategy for doing something about it? It seems a bit weird, is all I’m saying; unprecedented.