Pope John Paul II covered up church child abuse

Originally published at: Pope John Paul II covered up church child abuse | Boing Boing

12 Likes

sinead-pope

Where’s Sinead’s apology, Francis!?!?

60 Likes

People thought he was diff didn’t/don’t they? Of course he wasn’t. A pope that doesn’t help priests diddle children is as impossible as a moral billionaire.

12 Likes

(insert obligatory Fry’s Shocked-not shocked meme).

Why am I not surprised?
One of the most backwards and conservative popes, though he was hiding it well with “modern” appearance and his globe-trotter attitude.

14 Likes

The church has been doing this for centuries. Thinking that there was a hiatus during one pope’s reign is ludicrous. I’m sure it’s happening right now, too.

12 Likes

Exactly. The pope is no less a piece of garbage than those he was covering for. (And by “pope” I mean EVERY pope.)

5 Likes

Well he was no saint you know…

12 Likes

What, St. John Paul II?!? How could that be?

3 Likes

Maybe he can be the patron saint of child molesters.

17 Likes

8 Likes

There is precedent in the church for handling this.

acceded to the papacy illegally, and illegally presiding over more than one diocese at the same time.[2] At the end of the trial, Formosus was pronounced guilty and his papacy retroactively declared null.

22 Likes

I guess there’s no Sixth Amendment under canon law.

ETA: Seriously, though, the absurdity of putting a rotting corpse on trial can’t cover up the abhorrence of protecting sexual abusers. (although the rotting corpse does make a fine allegory for the Church)

9 Likes

If only we could retroactively declare null some other historical wrong turns.

3 Likes

It gets…worse. He was acclaimed The Great by Benedict in his funeral homily…now while this doesn’t have any real extra influence, he’s one of a very rare number of Popes so acclaimed.

Pope John Paul II – The Great

4 Likes

So there is the proof: the Roman Catholic church, all the way up to and including the pope, is the world’s largest and oldest child sex-trafficking conspiracy. How many Roman Catholics are on our Supreme Court? What moral authority can any member of this conspiracy claim now?

8 Likes

(it’s not the pope, but it’s a beloved mural in Dublin, part of a collection of pieces about Irish rock icons)

20 Likes

Yeah, in the US the GOP loves to talk about what the founding fathers would have thought: Imagine telling them the constitution would be edited by hardline fundamentalist Catholics pushing for a theocracy via the supreme court after the whole organization was exposed as a child sex operation.

12 Likes

And here in Ontario, police had to be called in to break up the fracas at a Catholic school board meeting because parents objected to “safe space for LGBTQ+” stickers that were being put up in some areas of the schools.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Well, he did perform miracles of protecting child-abusing priests.

5 Likes