Pope John Paul II covered up church child abuse

I look at it this way:

When someone says “I am a firm believer in the teachings of Christ” it doesn’t really give me enough information to tell if that person is good or bad. Their faith might inspire them to be the next Pope Innocent III or it might inspire them to be the next Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.

When someone says “I am a firm supporter of slavery” or “I am a firm supporter of genocide” there’s no room for a charitable interpretation there. Those practices are fundamentally evil in any and all circumstances.

6 Likes

Good point. Rev Ed Trevors fills my agnostic heart with peace.

3 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 Likes

My father, raised Quaker, attended a Catholic service and asked, “People still believe this stuff”? A rhetorical question, I hoped.

1 Like

Right? She caught so much shit for all that to the point where it largely torpedoed her career. I mean even Madonna was throwing shade at her for insulting the Catholic Church — and that’s some damn nerve coming from the same person that just 3 years prior had been personally rebuked by PJP2 for her Like a Prayer video.

Anyway it seems like she has no regrets, so more power to her.

6 Likes

Had…had she looked at her own name?

3 Likes

You can’t really fault her for that. Her parents gave her that name, and it was also her mother’s name.

5 Likes

In the US at least… she still was fine in the UK and Ireland, from what I understand…

5 Likes

Indeed - that was a very US-centric remark. She continues to top the charts in Ireland and is still making music and touring. Good for her.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.