Popular misspellings of "pregnant" in discussions of pregnancy on Yahoo! Answers

Seriously? I didn’t start any language until I was 14. I didn’t learn Spanish until I was in my thirties, and I do okay with it.

2 Likes

This this this.

This video broke my heart.

6 Likes

I don’t even use a dictionary anymore. I just derive the spelling of words from first principles.

Wait… I’m confused… is this a linguistic superiority thread or a thread about how teenagers and the undereducated are dumb?

5 Likes

There will always only be one true Babby.

2 Likes

Some pick up languages easier than others, but as a rule it’s best to start early

5 Likes

It sounds like it’s controversial, but generally accepted (and we all believe everything Wikipedia has to say). Being biology, I would expect a lot of variation from person to person, though.

My main problem with French was that I never used it after high school, I think.

1 Like

Sometimes it doesn’t take very well until one has had a chance to really use it. A cousin of mine grew up speaking english, swedish and spanish but never got a good handle on spanish. She’s been doing some internship in a spanish speaking country and something clicked and she’s been doing awesome with it now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard it can spring back to life after laying dormant. When in Paris more recently, I noticed a few words (only) coming back to me as I gestured uselessly with servers in restaurants.

There are much better resources than Yahoo Answers out there, it’s just a matter of getting the word spread. http://www.scarleteen.com/ and http://sexetc.org/ are well-regarded, or so I’ve heard — I don’t have kids, and I’m not exactly in the demographic myself.

Is school-based sex ed really in such a sorry state? I’ve heard about stupid abstinence-only policies and know they get bad results, but I didn’t realize quite how bad those results could be.

6 Likes

Yahoo Answers remains of the last places on the web where young women can talk candidly about their sex lives in relatively safety

Well, the version of safety that involves taking advice from other 14-year-olds who assume that drinking bleach cures herpes, yes.

1 Like

IIRC followups show that abstinence-only has worse outcomes than no sex ed at all.

4 Likes

Also “Cannon” cameras, and “Craftsmen” tools. Getting stuff cheaper on eBay due to spelling errors was once a real big thing but, according to a friend at eBay, they’ve got mechanisms in place that reduce the likelihood of success as such bargain hunting.

1 Like

Like how saying nothing about sniffing paint produces fewer paint sniffers than saying “Don’t sniff paint to get high!” ???

Edit: Yes I know it’s not the same.

1 Like

Technically it does, if you drink enough of it.

4 Likes

Prenant?

Omg, I loled at this. Literally. Literally literally, not that newfangled figuratively literally.

But seriously, this was damn funny.

That’s a lot of literally, literally.

That’s the hottest of takes, I mean who better to make a statement like this than an adult male… I see you’ve never heard of Glow.

I wasn’t suggesting that you use spell checking, but noting that the yahoo answers posters were probably ignoring the spelling hints on their screen as they posted those spectacular misspellings.

1 Like