Popular tattoos 5,000 years ago were sheep

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/13/popular-tattoos-5000-years-ag.html

2 Likes

Or they could be the ancient Egyptian equivalent of…

Wait, no, that’s the Welsh.

8 Likes

As a big game hunter I take exception with their use of the term “bull”:

Male barbary sheep are RAMS, while female barbary sheep are EWES.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Rule 34…

3 Likes

Two different animals, two different tattoos:

…a barbary sheep and a bull for his upper right arm. While a sheep might not seem particularly fierce…The bull is a more obvious symbol…

6 Likes

Randall Munroe was right all along…

6 Likes

Well then. Good thing he didn’t shout “Baah Ram Ewe”…

3 Likes

As long as we are continuing the ancient and proud English tradition of calling the celtic peoples sheep lovers…

What is the difference between a Scotsman and the Rolling Stones?

The Stones are all, “Hey you, get off my cloud” and the Scotsman is all, “Hey McCloud get off my Ewe!”

6 Likes

Still popular!

1 Like

Yeah, we fuck 'em you eat 'em. Enjoy. :joy:

6 Likes

Popular tattoos 5,000 years ago were sheep

Isn’t a sample size of one (1) a little thin to be making sweeping statements on?

Or [genuine question for the statisticians out there] is it legitimate to infer that sheep tattoos were actually popular because the only example we have includes a sheep, and therefore sheep must have been common/popular for this random example to have had one? Is that generalise-able for all small (but truly random) sample sets, or only the really old ones?

1 Like

I have nothing truly constructive to add.

6 Likes

Or both the sheep and the S tattoos are meaningless and just happened to be included in the local artist’s sale on flash art.

3 Likes

Yep, I can tell that’s a sheep. Totally looks like a healthy, normal sheep.

2 Likes

Oh, they were that band that released “Tattoo Ewe”, right?

1 Like

“You see that barn? I built that barn with me own two hands, a finer piece of work you’ll never find, but do they call me Angus the barn-builder? No!!”

“See those thatched cottages in the village? I thatched those roofs with my own hands, but do they call me Angus the thatcher? No!!”

“But you fuck one sheep…”

8 Likes

Husbandry
Oglaf (usually NSFW)

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.