Popular zero-calorie sweetener linked to heart attack and stroke

erythritol gives me awful hangovers.

4 Likes

What’s the relationship between erythritol, erithromycin (antibiotic) and erythrocytes (white blood cells)? Why do they all have the same root word?

Something about them is red, or related to red. (Erythrocytes are red blood cells.)

5 Likes

Rat poison is most commonly warfarin, which is a blood thinner. Also used as a drug for humans who have risks of stroke, but has been mostly replaced by other meds that are easier to manage chronically.

Vit D has a crazy high LD50 in humans. Tens of thousands of IU.

5 Likes

… aren’t they phasing out the whole “I.U.” thing?

Recently printed labels and publications seem to list amounts in mcg instead :confused:

1 Like

You are correct, however cholecalciferol IS in fact rodent poison: TERAD3 BLOX - Bell Laboratories

Apparently it’s used for rodents resistant to other anticoagulants.

I just have to be right on the internet. Or more truthfully, am really surprised this is a thing and want to share it in context-ish.

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing both on labels but it would make sense to phase out I.U. completely.

Cool! TIL. Thanks!

If I’m doing the math right the LD50 for humans taking Vitamin D is about 700,000 I.U. per pound of body mass, e.g. 100 million I.U. for an average person

but that’s still only 2½ grams :thinking:

3 Likes

Sounds about right! :rofl:

1 Like

There are a lot of different rat poisons, it turns out. I only learned this recently because I had a rodent problem in my house, and the province here recently passed new restrictions on which poisons are allowed. The exterminator who was helping me had quite a lot to say about it, as you can imagine.

What I also learned is that being an exterminator gives you a license to use all kinds of crazy shit that us plebes can’t buy. The guy told me that the rat poison you buy in stores doesn’t do squat, basically. He said if you’re not using an exterminator, then you should use traps instead, because the consumer retail poisons are so weak as to be useless.

Just because it needs to be said of course, never use rat poison anywhere that other animals might be able to access it. Many a poor doggo or kitty has been hurt by it.

1 Like

… do I even want to know what the mechanism is how 2½ grams of Vitamin D would kill me :grimacing:

2 Likes

Depends how healthy you are to begin with. No matter what, it sounds painful.

If you aren’t very healthy, the vomiting/diarrhea would result in dehydration and that could get you.

Then would come kidney stones and kidney failure.

If you make it past that, the increase in circulating calcium would start to block your coronary arteries and lead to a heart attack.

Doesn’t sound like fun. I’ll stick to a few milligrams, thank you.

3 Likes

( the published UL is 0.1 milligram )

2 Likes

There’s been stories for decades about how artificial sweeteners are going to give you cancer or whatever. I don’t know that I believe those stories, but I also don’t think they are necessarily a healthy alternative to sugar.

I did learn from my neurologist is that despite having no sugar, the sweetness can still cause the body to trigger an insulin spike. Zero calories doesn’t equate to zero impact.

Per doctor’s orders I completely cut artificial sweeteners out of my diet over a year ago. If I need a sweet and caffeinated beverage, I go for a Mexican Coke imstead. Without any other diet or exercise changes managed to lose some 25 lbs, so maybe there’s some truth to all of that. I’m certainly very skeptical of artificial sweeteners now. It seems like you really can’t get “zero calorie” without there being a catch.

4 Likes

From some rough calculations based on the bottle, I’m going to go with “burst stomach”, at least if you do it all at once. If my calculations are right, that’s almost 84 Costco size bottles.
(50 mcg pills means 50,000 pills for 2.5 g, 600 pills per bottle

Edit: Added a zero to bottles

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.