Portal for the Apple ][+, //e and related systems

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/16/portal-for-the-apple-e.html

1 Like

The Apple IIe was my first computer I learned to program on. What a beauty.

4 Likes

Yes. Those perfect hires shades of orange and blue.

4 Likes

In my first computers class (9th grade), we had one Apple II in a roomful of Tandys. I remember how awesome and futuristic it seemed.

P.S. At last, a vlogger with a little inflection in his voice!
Hmm, he sounds a bit like me…

2 Likes

I couldn’t afford a C64, so you can imagine my relation to the Apple II. I used to visit school friends who had a Sinclair’s ZX-81, a C64, an Atari XT, an Amiga 600, the first 8088 PCs in our neigbourhood, then the first 386. I used to play some games with them, or watch them do programming. I was quite good at getting the config files right so we could play Wing Commander on machines which didn’t have much memory. The first computer I had access to on my own was an AMD 286, when my friends already had their own 486s.

In 2007, I went abroad for long periods of time, and had no time to play games. Actually, the last “state of the art” game I played was the first Deus Ex. Afterwards, I lost touch because I didn’t have the time, nor the money to invest in hardware.

Now, I have a question I can’t answer for myself: how the fuck does it happen that I do get nostalgic about a game I never played ported to a computer I never used? How, and why?

Oh, fuck this , I’m going to watch his Monkey Island chiptune video again. That’s something I actually can relate to and have the right to be nostalic about.

4 Likes

Eh, it’s already been on a TI calculator.

(Love that Still Alive remix. Nothing in particular to do with a TI, but lovely nonetheless.)

2 Likes

In the HS Computer lab, it was all Apple ][+ except for one IBM 386. I stuck with the IBM because that’s what the “real world” used.
and play the pirated copy of BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk’s Inception we’d installed on it.

4 Likes

Looks like he’s considering an assembly version, which should improve performance considerably. (This one’s written in Applesoft BASIC.)

2 Likes

Anyone else get a little thrill of happiness hearing the Apple boot up?

1 Like

500 years from now there will be an order of monks living underground preserving these techniques and systems from decay

1 Like

The 8 bit generation I trust to both be the last to fry and the first to be rebuilt (using microprocessors as we currently understand them.)

1 Like

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.