Portland police officer accused of 7-hour sexual assault gets paid vacation

The way most minds work, what he has said here is that if elected President he will proceed to use drones to murder anyone who ever read the above quote.

I see an investment opportunity in drones, and bunkers.

edit - he is a he

4 Likes

The shit Portland cops get away with is too crazy for the Onion, too crazy for a Saturday Night Live skit.

As part of the unusual settlement with Kruger, the city agreed to pay him back for the 80 hours suspension without pay he received in 2010 for nailing "memorial plaques’’ of five Nazi soldiers to a tree on the east side of Rocky Butte Park sometime between 1999 and 2001. Kruger was a Portland officer at the time, but wasn’t on duty when he erected the plaques as a shrine he called “Ehrenbaum” or "Honor Tree.‘’

Under the settlement, the 80 hours will be added as vacation pay to Kruger’s vacation bank. The 2010 disciplinary letter, in which Reese had cited Kruger for bringing "discredit and disgrace upon the Bureau and the City,‘’ will be removed from Kruger’s Police Bureau and human resources file.

Under the deal, the police chief also will provide a complimentary three-paragraph letter to Kruger, saying he’s performed "above expectations’’ in his work on the force and has strengthened ties with the community.

4 Likes

As far as a “history of misconduct” goes, that’s pretty weak.

“(Guttman) asked Palaoro at least to stand on a throw carpet in front of his couch,” states the suit. “Palaoro complied …”

…

The encounter was just part of a nightmarish 10 minutes that left Guttman feeling as if his rights had been violated – all because, he suspects, he had a gun in his home.

Guttman, a doctoral dental student at Oregon Health & Science University, had arrived home around 8 p.m. Nov. 29 to find “that his house was messy, and asked his roommate … to help keep the common areas of the home tidier.”

His roommate reacted so angrily that Guttman sought refuge in his bedroom, where he took his handgun from his nightstand, told his roommate he had a gun, told him to stay away and called 911. The suit states that Guttman has a concealed weapons permit for his Kel-tec P-3AT handgun.

While on the phone, the roommate drove off and Guttman told the dispatcher that he was unloading his gun.

…

Palaoro stayed by Guttman’s side for about 10 minutes, which is how long it took the roommate’s friend to pack up the last of the possessions and leave. The officers then left, too.

Guttman wasn’t charged with any crimes.

His suit faults the police for allegedly entering his home without probable cause, for entering without a warrant and for going inside even though Guttman told Palaoro to stay out.

4 Likes

Yes. Sorry, fire the motherfucker, disgorgement, and serious prison time as befits a convicted criminal.

1 Like

Just because Lindsey Graham is rumored gay…doesn’t mean he prefers a feminine pronoun.

1 Like

It does happen to poor people. If Jeff gets accused of stealing hamburgers from McDonald’s, he might lose his job without a fair hearing or anything. Unfortunately, we aren’t talking about McDonalds. We are talking about a THE POLICE. An organization that has the sworn duty to piss off another group of people(criminals). If a police officer was fired every time that someone accused them of something, we wouldn’t have any cops.

Seriously, think about this for a minute. The police have a job where they are literally required to piss people(criminals) off. Do you think anyone breaking the law is happy to be stopped? Do you think criminals thank the police for arresting them? Any job with such a large number of disgruntled ‘customers’ is going to have a similar policy. Do you think your friends who do “child custody evaluations” are fired the moment someone files a complaint against them? Of course not, they probably aren’t even arrested immediately because it is highly likely that the complaint is false and even if the complaint is true it pays dividends to investigate it carefully.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware I’d typed it such. Correcting. I also hadn’t read such a rumour, but if like many GOP hopefuls he has spoken against LGBT persons, it would not surprise me at all.

2 Likes

Yeah, no. But anyway, this woman called the police for help

5 Likes

That’s a solution like burning down everyone’s houses is a solution to homelessness.

1 Like

Was it even legal to erect such a memorial in a public park? Typically permanent construction/defacement of the park without prior permission from the city is at the very least a misdemeanor and carries some community service and a fine with it.

Why does this guy get extra apologies and his pay back for doing one illegal thing, but the legal system ignores the real infraction he actually did commit?

4 Likes

You write this in a way to make it seem like you are disagreeing with me, all the while echoing my own sentiment.

My point was about folks that have no institutional protection not being protected. Cops and social workers get false accusations against them all the time. There are a LOT of cops that deserve the accusations as well. Same with social workers (though in their case, most of the time when they aren’t doing their job, its because they have put in a 60 to 80 hour week to get through their other cases and just didn’t get to some of them, or did a bad job in order to try to attend to everything because the gov’t really doesn’t want to pay any more than it has to). Yes. Folks in jobs like this get protections and they should.

So…not sure why you think I’m disagreeing.

Yet another thread about sexual assault, yet another thread in which “false accusations” become the focus to explain why the accused must be protected to the bitter end on the chance that this might be one of the rare occasions.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Yep.

My wife is a social worker.

She gets complaints regularly. Part of the job.

3 Likes

There is legitimate logic for why the person wasn’t immediately fired. I am only supporting the logic of not firing every police officer the moment they are accused of improper behavior.
The only alternative to suspending them with pay would be to fire them but immediately hire them back with backpay when they are absolved of guilt. If you took this course of action, the police officer would be free to go on an extended vacation. You wouldn’t be able to require that they return to work immediately and you would still be required to hire them back. Police officers would then abuse the system and encourage false accusations to receive free vacactions.

This system seems to be the most fair. Police officers continue to receive pay unless they are found guilty. If found guilty, they lose their jobs and face criminal charges. In that case, I doubt that a few dollars of pay would really matter and there is no real incentive for anyone to make anything up.

4 Likes

OT/meta: It’s pretty uncool for the video’s preview freeze-frame to be a shot of the police spokesman being interviewed instead of Palaoro. That’s probably down to YouTube, or whoever uploaded it, but editors/mods here ought to be able to replace the preview image. Whatever your opinions of cops, here you’ve got this officer’s picture directly under the headline about an officer committing sexual assault. I’m sure you can see the problem with that.

it’s actually more like living in a world where everyone but a certain class of people have their houses getting burned down all the time because that certain class of people are the trusted servants of the people who have set up a system for burning down everyone’s house, and that certain class of people can rape and kill just about whoever they want as part of their job as trusted servants and afterwards sit around in their non/burned down house and then you go over and burn down their house and everyone says “aw man, that’s no solution” but really you just like seeing the trusted servants having a miserable time of it even just a little bit.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.