Portland police stage bizarre sensory deprivation stunt against ICE protesters

First, please take more care with your quotes. You just put words in my mouth.

But it doesn’t really matter because you are wrong. The protesters were blocking the driveway, stopping ICE from moving prisoners. That is by no means “minimal impact”.

2 Likes

would you rather have the chains cut off without the protective gear?

Why do you want the protesters to go deaf before catching on fire?

3 Likes

Very quickly getting to the point where peaceful protest is no longer an option

This is not protective gear. 1.00 cheap eye Shields are protective gear. This is punishment

3 Likes

Q: Had they used tarps or blankets, would there be none of this outrage then?

I highly doubt it. It wouldn’t have changed anything perception wise, and would have actually made it so they were less able to see (one can see partly out of cloth like that).

Fair point on anyone who supports this protest. But protest like this are at some point going to get broken up. Reading several local journalistic articles, I have to concur with what a few other BBs have said, that they were flame retardant balaclavas and ear protection, not for torture or deprivation, but for protection from the noise and sparks. Evidently the device they used is known as a sleeping dragon and will give off a lot of sparks when cut off with a cutting wheel/angle grinder.

Again, supporting what they are protesting I understand and even support to a degree. ICE has been deporting a lot more people under Obama than in the previous decade. But adding hyperbole to it isn’t helping anyone.

Below is a link to a local report that has a lot more photos. Note the protesters being arrested do not have the hood nor earmuffs on as they are being put in the van. Note too some people suggested just glasses, but that does nothing to protect the rest of the face from sparks.

eta - derp - forgot the link

5 Likes

The word is “balaclava”
These are standard for anyone needing head protection from fire or other hot debris.
Cotton works pretty well. It is rated up to 4 cal/cm^2 last time I checked. These are probably made of a better material have a higher flame-retardant rating.

2 Likes

I am noticing a trend in that direction lately.

Probably because people are upset about the current political situation in the US, so they feel justified in exaggerating or lying to some degree. Of course, this behavior creates an astable feedback loop. (It swings back and forth, getting worse each time)
To be honest, the current political situation in the US was probably created because people felt justified in doing bad things to get back at “those bastards”

4 Likes

Oh, Hey!

Portland resident, erm, here!

This thread has some serious sidelining going on already, so I’ll just point out a couple things:

A) Anyone claiming this is SOP, well will you tell me the last time PPD used this type of tactic? Please, I’m dying to know.

1. That hardly fucking matters one gd iota. The context of this action and the police response to it is very much inclusive of the last year of actions and responses from the police. Simply put, PPD have been acting more like a paramilitary org than a civil service one, up to and including using tactics and tools designed for the battlefield, information control (like their fondness for tweeting decontextualized photos,) kettling peaceful protesters, arresting journalists and photographers, deployment of agent provocateurs, knocking old ladies into the street, etc. etc. etc

So given the atmosphere, we can conclude at the least that PPD either has no one home in the PR dept, or they simply don’t care (a hint: they don’t!)

What’s most egregious to me is that city, county, and metro govt policy expressly forbids aiding immigration enforcement, yet here we are (again,) only this time, their hand was forced- which is good, because the people at large are getting more and more disgusted by what they see.

Lastly, the mayor proves that his intellect is unattached to any sort of spine. If he can’t get PPD under control even with his handpicked chief he’s not gonna last.

8 Likes

They put a balaclava on someone’s head while they cut chains.
Are you suggesting that they shouldn’t cut the chains or that they should have done something else while cutting the chains?

4 Likes

I’m saying they shouldn’t have cut the chains to begin with. ICE can do its own dirty work.

6 Likes

These were protestors, not ICE detainees.
I don’t think ICE had authority to arrest them.

3 Likes

Aww, tough cookies then.

The city has a law about abetting immigration enforcement, specifically that it’s not allowed. In my view these cops broke the law. It is not at all surprising, because they have a demonstrated history of illegality and civil rights violations.

5 Likes

Those aren’t what was available at the military surplus depot.

Hoods are.

6 Likes

The city has a law about abetting immigration enforcement. Does it have a law about unlawful protest?
If these people weren’t subject to ICE agents, how would the police be abetting ICE?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Didn’t he graduate with a degree in political science?

3 Likes

Next up: Portland police interrogators don baby masks.

8 Likes

Would ICE have been able to transport detainees without the actions of PPD?

2 Likes

Not directly aiding ICE doesn’t mean they aren’t required to uphold the other laws that may indirectly help. i.e. cars illegally parked in front

2 Likes

Police never enforce all laws equally or at all times. It is entirely within the local authorities’ power to instruct their cops to take no action or go elsewhere.

4 Likes