Portland removes 'Merge Simpson' traffic sign

Originally published at: Portland removes 'Merge Simpson' traffic sign | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I can see why the Portland Fun Sponge Police would do this.

2 Likes

Part of the ongoing escalation of the Morale Suppression initiative

3 Likes

For those unfamiliar with the Portland / Simpson’s history

7 Likes

5 Likes

D’oh!

2 Likes

As a habitual pedestrian, I’m concerned about this part of the story:

The artist covered up a pedestrian crosswalk sign.

How many pedestrians must die for the sake of a pop-cultural reference?

7 Likes

portland? joy crushing? portland is one of the most PRO-joy cities i know of. i mean, they did just name a Ned Flanders bridge, and all.

3 Likes

The merge/marge relationship goes deeper too. In many (most?) software development teams now, Marge’s icon is a shorthand for code merge requests or statuses. So in Slack, you might say “Please [marge icon] my pull request” or place the marge icon as a reaction emoji to the request to indicated it has been merged.

As for killing joy, well, the city is liable for the street signs being visible and correct, so it’s hard to fault them for needing to legally protect themselves.

7 Likes

Is it funny? I think so.

Would it have been just as funny without covering up a real traffic sign, on the other side, say? I think so.

Does covering up a real traffic sign turn this from a funny prank into something dangerous and shitty?

2 Likes

Not really. Drivers are less likely to ignore the Marge sign than a pedestrian crosswalk sign here. With the Marge sign, they might slow down at least.

1 Like

Merge Simpson may be gone, but Ned Flanders Street continues to serve the residents of Multnomah County. These pop up all the time in Northeast Portland (and no I am not responsible for Montavilla’s), even all the way out in Rockwood.

7 Likes

They might not realize it’s supposed to be alerting them to the presence of a crosswalk, though. If one didn’t know what was being covered up they might reasonably assume it was a “merge” sign.

3 Likes

That intersection has both. There are still the big bold crosswalk lines on the ground, not shown in the pictures.

I guess I’m confused then, the description says

The artist covered up a pedestrian crosswalk sign

Which makes it sound like the sign in question was a “pedestrian crossing” sign, not a “merge ahead” sign. Obviously the crosswalk itself is still there but the original sign was presumably put there for a reason.

2 Likes

Yes, just pointing out that the freeway on ramp has both a crosswalk and a merge. The Marge art covered a crosswalk sign.

My personal experience as a pedestrian in the area is that drivers pretty much ignore crosswalks unless there is a light.

1 Like

I’m very much a proponent of art in public spaces. But I draw the line at completely covering up a a traffic, pedestrian, cyclist, or other safety related sign.

I don’t care who you are, your art is not good enough to cause physical harm or death.

2 Likes

As the liability police populate and fill up the bureaus of California, so goes the municipalities of Portland.

Just a reminder that there are lots of ways to do this sight gag without covering up any safety/traffic signs.

marge

…along with other Simpsons characters…

…including this one which was also spotted in Portland.

5 Likes

Do you know where in town the Portland one is?