Portlanders use leaf-blowers to isolate and return tear gas to the thugs who threw it

I use mine exclusively for blowing sawdust out of my workshop. It comes in extra-handy for chasing dust out of crevices too deep for the vacuum to reach into.

Mine is just a little electric jobbie, though.

Not super-powered, but it still makes a decent breeze, and would be very convenient to carry in a protest.

23 Likes

56 Likes

A chapter of one of P.J. O’Rourke’s travelogues (possibly Holidays in Hell) made it abundantly clear that South Korean students do not fuck about when it comes to protests.

17 Likes

In Bong Joon-Ho’s The Host, one of the character’s back stories is that he was a political activist in college.

He spends most of the movie hurling molotov cocktails at things.

14 Likes

Good to see one individual using an environmentally friendly, battery powered leaf blower
A little less C02 in the world…

4 Likes

I said the other day that if Portland was in Hong Kong, more people would be on the side of the people- not the government.

13 Likes

Arm-mounted cordless industrial fans wielded like Captain America’s shield - Go!

10 Likes

“The street finds its own uses for things.”
– William Gibson

29 Likes

I’ve been contemplating how a handful of these might be useful in Portland, with a suitable payload. Haven’t worked out exactly what that would be yet, though:

3 Likes

Oh. Oh! Maybe… my electric duster… hmmm.

2 Likes

When I was in high school there was a civil war between skate boarders and roller blade boys, it was fierce! Anyhow the other side used one of these and a bunch of balloons with spicy peppers mixed into the water… Mercy that hurt!

4 Likes

The payload should be a dye, so that we can shame these Americans who attack their fellow citizens on their off days.

13 Likes

Oh, Xeni already answered your question. https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/watch-molten-thermite-in-wate.html

7 Likes

An invention reaches transcendence when it is used for a purpose its inventor never imagined.

12 Likes

Please indicate which of these meanings you intend for “OC”. I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean “Orange Crush”.
A list of explanatory acronyms for “OC”.

4 Likes

Pretty sure they mean oleoresin capsicum - aka Pepper Spray.

10 Likes

Clever use of leaf blowers - recent 40v+ units are comparable to gas powered units and so much easier to deploy. Its a shame they will be smashed or ruined by opportunistic thugs.

All this is well and good, but what we have to remember is this was unleashed on peaceful protestors operating within their free speech rights by trump, and enabled by republican senators who refuse to constrain him. At this point in the election process our only recourse as citizens is to remove trump and as many republican incumbents as possible.

12 Likes

So much of archaeology’s toolkit (and, I’m sure, that of the other sciences/fields that do fieldwork) is just that. We are too small a market for toolmakers to cater to us specifically, so all our kit is scrounged together from the tools of other walks of life in an almost Mad Maxian way, from construction, to forestry, to gardening, to carpentry, to dentistry and cake decorating.

14 Likes

Meanwhile I just heard about the district court ruling that the state of Oregon does not have standing to sue to stop deployment of federal troops against US citizens. I’m wondering who would have standing?

11 Likes

Eh, lacrosse sticks are more useful over there

22 Likes