Possible PBBB laptop RPG game

@Daaksyde the 3d6 dice reads: 12 (6,5,1)

Keep the dice rolls over here, I think.

BTW, I’m not planning on getting you to do all your rolls like this; it’d slow things down too much. But I figured that letting you “roll” your own dice on high-stakes moments might be more satisfying for the players.

There we go.

Sorry about not responding to the last one, but there’s not much you can do in response to “Everything is going approximately as planned, you seem to be successfully making your getaway, you’ve already expressed that you have no interest in fighting unless cornered, and you’re currently panting and clinging onto the back of a carriage.”

There’s no choice to make there, other than “Do I attempt to perform the risky maneuver of climbing into the carriage or not?”

I’ll be responding shortly, once I’ve figured out exactly how to narrate the actions Hawk’s about to take.

1 Like

Nic’s shoulder only requires a 1-pt Minor Heal, BTW; it’s just some sprained tendons.

Save the Major Heal for if/when the crossbow bolts start flying. :grin:

1-HP? Really?

That doesn’t sound like a 1-HP wound. I think of a 1-HP wound as a broken toenail or a deep cat-scratch; something that hurts enough to distract you, but not enough to affect the functionality of the limb.

Still, if that’s all it is, then that’s all I’ll spend.

:slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re thinking in D&D terms. 1HP is 1/10th of the way to unconsciousness. 8HP is a solid whack from an axe; weeks in hospital if magic isn’t available.

Huh. The last time I played GURPS, the system was set up much different.

Between the advantages we had (High Pain Threshold and Combat Reflexes?), we wouldn’t go unconscious at 0 HP, but would just take a -2 to all actions when we hit 0 HP, and then an additional -2 for every (# of character’s HP) damage we took until we hit negative (5 x character’s HP), at which point, you were dead.

But then again, that campaign was heavily house-ruled.

Quite a bit, by the sounds of it. :slight_smile:

By the standard rules, even with High Pain Threshold etc, it’s a HT check every second to avoid falling unconscious as soon as you hit negative HP. With appropriate advantages, you can fairly easily get it so that it takes a critical fail on that roll to knock you out, but at one test per second you’re going to drop eventually.

See Possible PBBB laptop RPG game - #111 by Wanderfound

Sorry I’ve been a bit absent over the last couple of days, works been a bit hectic.
Looks like things have been continued to go pear-shaped over in the narrative thread.

2 Likes

A few GM notes:

1. The owner of the carriage may be upset if he doesn’t get it back.
  2. The city is the confluence of two major, ship-navigable rivers. An unencumbered good swimmer could cross it, but it’s not a trivial swim.
  3. There are, however, dockyards on both sides of the river and constant small boat traffic.
  4. Dwarves, unlike elves and humans, are not positively buoyant. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I did figure that, which was why Nic turned to the probable magic user and the definite Shaman for suggestions.

I’m not entirely sure what’s possible with magic in GURPs, so I decided Nic was equally ignorant but had high, possibly too high, expectation of what mages can do.

On the owner of carriage’s displeasure, Nic’s a little annoyed at the abandonment so he wasn’t too fused

1 Like

More GURPS combat primer:

• Combat turns are only one second; therefore, I won’t necessarily be waiting for detailed player instruction between every turn of a fight. I’ll pause at key drama moments, but otherwise run it a bunch of turns at a time.

• If you just want to say “I attack the bad guy”, that’s fine; I’ll work out the details and take the basic sensible options in a fight.

• However, the game does account for the effects of most any trick you can think of. Feints, parries, footwork, tempo, distance, grappling, specific targets, reckless attack or conservative defence, shifting weapon grips, etc. The more detail you give me about how you want to fight, the more involved you’ll be.

• Drawing most weapons requires one second; Fast Draw skill can remove this. Shifting a cloak into ready position is two seconds; a slung shield four. Arrow fire is one second to draw the arrow, one second to load the bow (longer if a crossbow; 4 sec for a not-too-strong bow, much longer for heavy bows), then fire on the next second.

• With missile weapons, aiming is optional but very, very helpful. If you look at your missile weapon stats, you’ll see that they have an “Acc” value. Aiming for one second lets you add Acc to your skill; aiming for a few more seconds can get an extra +1/sec. Given that you’re likely to have substantial penalties due to the range and speed of your target, these bonuses are worth having unless you have superhuman archery skill.

At least one of the mages present could keep Ranar alive in the water; the difficulty would be in maintaining the spell long enough to get him across. Although even that might not be an insoluble problem.

While the spell discussion is cool, remember that you’re still currently being chased by shitloads of guards. At your current pace, they’re catching up, and are not far behind; going fast enough to evade them also means going fast enough to attract the attention of every civilian who can point the soldiers after you.

Getting out of sight for a bit somehow would probably be a prerequisite for any illusion disguise to work.

On the map at GURPS Banestorm PBBB narrative thread - #2 by Wanderfound Safiya Square is #63, the Grand Mosque is #62, the Palace is #58 and Southhall is #60. You’ve just left Safiya Square on Al-Imaan Street heading southeast.

The southeast part of West Tredroy is its quietest, most residential bit. Southbridge (#66) is closed to commercial traffic after dark. #67 is the docks, #64 is the Mayor’s place.

Well, yeah. But that’ll have to happen after Hawk and de Courcy disembark at the harbourfront. Hopefully there will be enough carriage traffic there to blend into; if not, well, the three carriage-bound members of the party will have to figure some way of losing all pursuit momentarily.

Besides, you’re the one who said that we should be bringing the cart back; I’m just working within those parameters.

ETA: But anyone can feel free to bring this up in-character as a valid objection to Hawk’s plan. It is a valid criticism that Hawk has no idea how you’d shake a pursuer while driving a carriage through city streets (it’s not an issue that would come up much in the Nomad Lands).

I never said you should bring it back; I just reminded you that the owner might be cranky if you don’t. What you do with that is your call. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Wanderfound:
I doubt any of us players know the answer to this question.

Would any of the characters have a good idea of the probable consequences of surrendering?

As a guide for people unfamiliar with 3d6:

So my character, with a skill level of 8 in swimming, would have a ~26% chance of succeeding at a swimming roll.

On the other hand, my character has a skill level of 15 in the Breathe Water spell, so he has a ~95% chance of casting that successfully.

So, my character would probably fail his roll to swim across the river, and would have to cast Breathe Water on himself to make it across. But he’d almost certainly succeed in casting the Breathe Water spell.

Depends on what your “crime” is; unfortunately, you don’t know what Aronn did to start the pursuit in the first place…

West Tredroy justice has a “harsh but fair” reputation, with punishments normally applied immediately. A flogging or stoning in the square is more likely than imprisonment.

So, I’ve been given the motivation to do some serious buckling down and finish the VC pitch and prep for something I’ve been working up to for five years now, and I also suddenly have a bunch of local allies.

I’m going to have to cut down my online time significantly for the next few weeks while I put things together…so feel free to have fun with Morton! I’d normally not give up on fun, but this is basically the thing that I’m alive for and I’ve got to knock this one out of the park!