Post-pandemic desk design may have marketing problem

I’m sorry, but the “final solution” phrasing isn’t funny.

1 Like

No cubicles for Jedi either, but they make it work.

12 Likes

Work is fascism.

1 Like

In lots of parts of the U.S. I’d be more worried about the people sitting in the cubicles, rather than their arrangement.

These guys are South Korean, not European or American, so this didn’t instantly say “nazis” to them. Is there a fascist resurgence in South Korea, like there is in the U.S.?

There is a reason it was such a widely used symbol and architectural and design embellishment for thousands of years. Part of me is like, “From a ground level, walking around in an office, does it even register?” And part of me is like, "Can we come up with a similar design/pattern that accomplishes the same goals with different lines?

4 Likes

Büroarbeits macht Frei, I guess.

Maybe, but it will be hard to accidentally recreate that kind of pattern. A swastika is a square with four long rectangles inserted into it in a way that preserves rotational symmetry. Need four long buildings on a square block, with either a yard or a parking area in front of each one, and ready outside access between any two buildings? Arrange them in the shape of a swastika. Need your ceiling vents to blow air in all directions? Arrange four straight vents orthogonally in the shape of a swastika. Just want a cool looking corporate logo? Follow the lead of Columbia Sportswear and Sun Microsystems and use a swastika. For added coolness, do like Slack did and make your logo a swastika made of dicks.

4 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes

I think Trump will go all in.

1 Like

Ha! I came out of college working for Sun, and I’m still with them years later (Oracle now). I always wondered about the logo until I was offered an interview, looked at the logo, and realized it was a clever way to spell sun 4 times.

I agree: it always looked like a swastika. And my first winter jacket (moved from FL to MA for college) was a Columbia.

3 Likes

I had a friend in college who thought it was a swastika and had no idea what it represented. He legit thought it was a white power symbol. I explained that it was a square with “Sun” written along the edges. But ever since, I couldn’t unsee the swastika.

3 Likes

Yes, the Nazis stole a symbol used in many human cultures for millennia. We can take the symbol back when all the Nazis are dead. Until that battle is won, it’s going to be a very problematic symbol to use in most contexts.

2 Likes

20200528000270_0-620x438

Fixed

6 Likes

The university library at the university I went to in the early eighties had clustered studying/reading desks which seated four people per unit. When viewed from above from say, the library’s main staircase, they looked exactly like swastikas.

2 Likes

According to this article in The Jewish Chronicle(which never oneboxes):

A South Korean professor has said changes will be made to a proposal for a post-coronavirus office layout due to its resemblance to a swastika.

The academic, who wished to remain anonymous, told the JC that a “tweak” would be made to the layout and apologised, saying that: “I am not in your culture, so I did not realise that it could bring such a concern.”

Korea had its own struggles during WWII, so I can see that.

The article ends:

Another noted that the design “has a very 1930s German aesthetic".

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.