Volkswagen upgrades its logo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/volkswagen-upgrades-its-logo.html

2 Likes

So they more or less reverted to the 1967 logo. It’s interesting to see how a lot of corporate logos have followed the same trends as app logos, switching from faux 3D to simple shapes and flat colors.

17 Likes

I don’t like the floating bottoms of the W (the only real change). If it’s touching the top border of the circle it should be touching the bottom too.

21 Likes

Someone added up printing cost for the last 20 years, and decided single color would save a bundle.

8 Likes

Interesting how they dropped the (rather cleverly integrated) swastika in 1939. Third Reich was still pretty strong then.

It’s almost like they didn’t want to be associated with Nazis.

1 Like

I’ll admit that I’m a fan of the old Wolfsburg crest that they also used to use.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m glad they ditched that shiny faux-3D thing but that floating W is bugging the hell out of me.

5 Likes

There, I fixed it!

24 Likes

I think that upgrade isn’t the correct word here.

That’s ugly.

15 Likes

No, all the older logos had the bottom of the W touching the circle. This looks like it’s afraid to commit.

4 Likes

Ferdinand Porsche was a nazi, albeit an indifferent one. Mostly greedy, amoral, egotistical…

5 Likes

I know that minimalist design is the way things are now … but I really hate the flat, monochrome look things have now. I guess I’m old …

8 Likes

It actually reminds me of a Decepticon… like Soundwave is angry at you.

4 Likes

Agreed. Plus I don’t want to have to rework mine to stay compliant.

11 Likes

Or internet bandwidth. That’s why Google changed theirs back in 2015

Probably the guy who redesigned the Windows look after Windows 7.

4 Likes

…Venom?

3 Likes

The one from 1960 is the best, IMHO.

The Jetta I had back in the 90s had that… I miss that old girl.

3 Likes

I was gona say a minimalist Ultron, but I can see Venom too

2 Likes

The logo is really a code for the Illuminati.
At least when you’re somewhat paranoid.

ETA: Koch (aka Hagbard Celine) was one of the guys involved in the “KGB-Hack” that Clifford Stoll stumbled upon after looking for 75 cents.

3 Likes