Volkswagen apologizes for racist ad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/21/volkswagen-apologizes-for-raci.html

9 Likes

How odd that through the whole process of commissioning the ad, filming and editing it, approving the results, transcoding it to mobile-friendly formats, and posting it to social media, no-one realized it was racist.

SorrowfulFatherlyAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-max-1mb

(Well okay, a lot of VW people forked up.)

31 Likes

There is a culture problem at VW.

I am shocked, shocked I say! That there might be some sort of cultural problem at a company founded by Nazis.

40 Likes

You’d think they’d want people to stop thinking about the company’s origins. But then, we live in a time when a right-wing populist party can become the third largest party in the German parliament.

26 Likes

Another atmosphere ruined by VW.

14 Likes

I’m going to vote with my wallet. I will buy no VW cars, I will rent no VW cars, I will skip all ride-sharing in VW cars.

That will show them.

1 Like
  1. loud dog whistle
  2. apologize
  3. ?
  4. profit
9 Likes

Maybe. Hard to see though how this boneheaded blunder will result in increased profits.

4 Likes

“It’s easier to get forgiveness than approval.”
“hmmmm. We can work with that…”

4 Likes

Many muricans will see it as an acceptable alternative to Ford or Chevy. The new white supremacist car market.

9 Likes

Blockquote
“We posted a racist advertising video on Volkswagen’s Instagram channel”

I will say, it is refreshing seeing a named company spokesman flatly call out their own advertising as racist, versus just apologizing for offending people or other hand-wavy BS. It shouldn’t have happened, but a least they called it what it was, racist.

24 Likes

Was there more to this ad when it was released? In this form, at least, I don’t understand what other message (besides the clearly racist one) it’s trying to convey.

5 Likes

Having lived in Germany, I know that the German sense of humor is a weird one. That said, this makes no sense to me at all. Giant giggling hands pushing a normal sized human around? Regardless of race, it’s incomprehensible. I wonder if this references something that would at least make sense to the Chermansz?

3 Likes

Maybe,

If a black man tries to steal your car (which we know they can’t help doing, amirite?), our built-in anti-blacktheft system will always protect you!

9 Likes

Let’s look at who doesn’t normally buy VW:
Klansmen
Good ole country boys
Alt-Right proudboys…JK, they’re like klansmen lite and would probably drive Jettas

So if more racists decide to give VW a try and fewer people in general decide against buying, boom…profit.
To go one step further, perhaps VW should capitalize on this and start making trucks with a handy large wooden cross holder to appeal separately to the evangelicals, the klansmen, and those that are both.

2 Likes

They’ve got their work cut out for them, Ford was sponsoring white supremacist events long before the Nazis ever thought to start their own car company.

19 Likes

Shit, “Heroin” was trademark of Bayer, made one feel heroische.

5 Likes

I … I don’t even get what they were trying to do with this ad that could be construed as anything other than racist tripe.

2 Likes

Everybody welcome? Really? I did not realize that the KKK was so inclusive.

8 Likes

Well, everyone who matters

9 Likes