Volkswagen upgrades its logo

Well there goes their only hope for a Presidential endorsement…

5 Likes

Maybe VfL Wolfsburg wanted more people to buy next seasons shirts.

4 Likes

Depends. So much stuff is digital CMYK now instead of single ink Pantone on plates, and that is cheaper.

Personally I like the cleaner look. I think if I were doing it I’d have gone with more rounded contours.

As we have noted, it seems people are going with bolder, more simple logos because people are digesting so many things on small screens. Personally I like that, because IMO it is usually better design. By better I mean more readable with out needless flourishes. The one negative remark is that the trend makes a lot of logos look too similar - but honestly that can be said when any trend ramps up and people copy it.

Sorry, I can’t resist posting this every time I see an article about a company changing a well-known logo.

20 Likes

I still see the “VW Eagle” stickers once in a while, that borrow the reichsadler eagle and substitute the VW logo for the swastika. I was way into VW’s back in my 20’s and used to see ads for those decals in VW Trends and Hot VW magazines, made me cringe then too.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m always baffled by how much commentary these sorts of “logo switching” stories get. Are people really into this shit? And, why get worked up over something so minor from a majorly shitty company??

As a side note: I have newer-model VW and it sucks ass!

Not strictly accurate but still funny.

17 Likes

More likely they decided that it was too complicated to be used as a badge.

1 Like

Thanks%2C%20I%20Hate%20It%20-%20Lindsay%20Ellis

6 Likes

I may be a minority here , but I do actually like it!
I dig the almost brutal minimalisn, especially compared to the very datet late 1990s early 2000s style old logo.

2 Likes

“We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. … I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.”

7 Likes

Vampyrwagen

5 Likes

giphy%20(19)

Portlandia goths are coming in handy this week…

7 Likes

The ugliness extends to their product development. I’ll never buy another one.

I like the return to a stripped down logo, but wish they had kept the bottom connections in the W.

2 Likes

some version were just touching.

3 Likes

I’ll grant you the 1985 change, looks like the New Coke decision screwed up more things than I thought.

Other than that, the script Coca-Cola is pretty much unchanged since 1905.

Agree to disagree time I guess. I love 19th-early 20th centrury logos and letterheads, this one being about my favorite:

3 Likes

Dammit. If it’s anything like last time, that means a whole lot of work for me. "CHANGE IT ON ALL GRAPHICS IMMEDIATELY!" Ugh. I’m tired of my job, but I still need money. Quite the conundrum.

ETA It still hasn’t shown up in VW AdLab, nor has it been changed on vw.com. I wish this post had a link to the source of this news.

ETA - Already spotted in the wild:

1 Like