Trump "America First" Eagle design looks like the Nazi parteiadler emblem

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/02/trump-america-first-eagle.html

11 Likes

Mistake @beschizza ?

No no. Working as intended to be sure.

28 Likes

To be accompanied with “Punch Me I’m a Nazi!”.

25 Likes

berlin-postwar

68 Likes

The regime’s training of the basic American casual racist to recognise and embrace the once-taboo symbols of overt white supremacy continues. Get enough of them to join (or at least excuse the sociopathic behaviour of) the hardcore alt-right base, Miller and Bannon and their ilk reckon, and they can either win Il Douche a second term or have the numbers to contest the result violently if they lose.

49 Likes

But think of the history that they are destroying!

/s

47 Likes

Even if this keeps happening coincidentally the fact that Trump and his campaign are repeatedly drawn to same iconography and language as fascists and racists tells you all you need to know.

31 Likes

A symbol that has made its way to the alt-right movement by way of Mussolini’s Fascists.

29 Likes

No! Really???
What about those bundles of sticks with the axe?

19 Likes

tumblr_ous6wxC0d11soccv6o1_500

47 Likes

Make America French again

6 Likes

What baffles me isn’t the nazi iconography(but tackier); but the fact that there is apparently still a supply of people who think that “Trump 2020” is an “America First” move.

It’s honestly hard to think of a single instance where the Trump administration has actually advanced America’s interests or enhanced its status or power vs. the prior situation.

I assume that, were I not a filthy globalist, I would correctly understand “America First” to mean “the world is irrelevant as long as the volk get theirs”; but it’s still pretty jarring.

38 Likes

It’s fascists all the way down…

19 Likes

I have a hard time believing that the graphic designer who came up with that logo didn’t do this on purpose. Wether they were directed to pull this off or not is another question.

R.I.P. U.S.A
1776-2016

240 years. It was a nice run. At least we get to celebrate one more independence day. Albeit it at home with the kids, grill, and watermelon (shhhhhh…don’t tell the authorities because fireworks are illegal in MA, but we bought a huge box of sparklers :slight_smile: )

19 Likes

I’d love to see Trump clutching the Fasces to his ample bosom. Oh, sorry, its spelt, “faeces”, isn’t it. A simple mistake to make.

14 Likes

As a graphic designer, part of me hopes the complete story behind this design decision was that a subversive designer stuck working on the Trump campaign* provided this in with their logo sketches as a joke, and it was chosen by someone – or a group of decision makers – as looking the most patriotic of the bunch without any eye toward historic iconography, only to have it blow up in their faces.

I doubt that’s the case, but it would be fun if true.

And it’s a bit hard to believe that, out of everything this administration has tried to do, the one thing they are good at is further linking themselves to Nazi/white supremacist culture. Not that they aren’t managing to do that. Just that I didn’t think they were skilled enough to succeed. I guess it’s easier to paint a wall ivory white if it starts off eggshell white.

*In 2008 I was laid off, and the first work I could find was working part time at an ad agency that was working on ad campaigns for local Republican politicians. I made a few mailers for a couple of the candidates, hating myself the entire time. One of them, Catherine “Kit” Roupe, lost her election bid that year and refused to pay for the design work, so I was told I wouldn’t get paid until she paid. Right before Christmas. It was a great life lesson about working for that brand of politician.

37 Likes

Don’t you see? The eagle claws are pulling America wide open to drain the swamp.

21 Likes

Are sparklers illegal in Mass? NY is pretty restrictive, but has always allowed sparklers. Recently they’ve allowed a few more things like fountains, which is absolutely insane. Thankfully we’ve gotten a good amount of rain lately; it was a tinder box a week ago.

Have fun!!!

Edited for grammar.

4 Likes

Are you positing a stealth goatse?

22 Likes

I think this stuff goes hand in glove with the edgelord portion of his base who have spent years jerking off to fascist imagery and telling us all it was just for the LOLs. I don’t think it’s a huge portion of the actual numbers of his base, but I do think it’s an incredibly outsized portion of its voice, and leads right into shit like this.

22 Likes