Depiction of Trump in American flag giving Nazi salute is disturbing

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/24/depiction-of-trump-in-american.html

3 Likes

And last week:

15 Likes

The text over Trump reads “Sein Kampf,” or “His Fight/Struggle” — a clear reference to Adolf Hitler’s book “Mein Kampf,” which translates to “My Struggle.”

The text below the headline translates to “Neo-Nazis, Ku-Klux-Klan, racism: How Donald Trump fights hatred in America.”

No, it translates to: “… How Donald Trump is stoking hatred in America.”

Quite the opposite.

37 Likes

That’s an unsettling but fantastic cover. I’m at work, and a glimpse of it just drew in several coworkers from a distance.

Is there someone here who is familiar with German laws against all things Nazi? Wouldn’t a depiction of a Hitler salute be, er, verboten?

4 Likes

It is only banned in context of promoting Nazi ideology. It’s covered under satire, journalism/reporting, and historical references.

23 Likes

Trump isn’t supreme at anything, you can tell by the pixels…

The restrictions have been loosened up a little bit over the years, for example the (very good) film Er ist wieder da (Look Who’s Back) is a comedy starring Hitler, where he’s teleported to the modern day when he shoots himself in the bunker rather than die. It resonates pretty well with the post-election world. While the symbol itself is banned this is in a context which is acceptable; there was quite a stir about this in the mid-2000’s when they were figuring out whether or not it was okay to, say, have this symbol despite the swastika: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Hakenkreuz_im_Verbotsschild.svg

9 Likes

This is a hilariously disturbing film, based on a book, too.

5 Likes

It’s got that whole Roman emperor thing going on - he’ll love it.

1 Like

Yes! I haven’t read the book so I couldn’t vouch for it, so I talked about the movie.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s cool. I haven’t read it either (I’m not sure it’s been translated into English?). I just thought I’d note it. Me and my family watched it pretty recently, and it is certainly uncomfortable, especially with current events being what they are.

4 Likes

Thanks to Rice and tekk for their replies! It makes sense that there would be exemptions for journalism and satire.

2 Likes

Weren’t the Roman emperors effectively more culturally inclusive?

4 Likes

Mahable corrected their nonsensical translation:
“How Donald Trump stirs hatred in America”

Maybe BoingBoing could correct it too?

Depiction of Trump in American flag giving Nazi salute is disturbing

It’s the truth, that’s why it’s disturbing.

7 Likes

I’m sure his White-wing goose-steppers are pinning this image up on their walls right now - oh, and probably washing their pants.

3 Likes

Hitler was a time traveler.

Since, obviously, he traveled back to the 1700s and told Jacques-Louis David how to paint Roman salutes for his famous painting Le Serment des Horaces.

Everything that Hitler did, even when it was explicitly referencing an existing custom or history, is Nazi stuff. For example, breathing is Nazi Breathing, and giving political speeches is Nazi Talking. Because Hitler traveled back in time and did it first.

You’re right, this is very disturbing. We’ll all have to stop breathing. I’m going to stop right now, I don’t want to be identical to Hitler.

1 Like

Beautifully draped flag. I approve of the photo styling.
Trying to be positive today

10 Likes

I wonder how, over time, the crowds behind Trump at his rallies have changed in terms of colour. Just saw his latest, didn’t see any racial diversity there. As for the rallies themselves, curious about the merch being sold on the premises. He must be getting a cut. Deplorable.

2 Likes

The only people of color genuinely supporting this monstrosity are the self-hating, the mentally unstable and those who would sell their own mothers if the price were right.

7 Likes