Trump ad uses Nazi symbol to woo voters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/18/trump-ad-uses-nazi-symbol-to-a.html

11 Likes

The parallels are so common and numerous it’s beyond sickening.

40 Likes

Stand with your president (name withheld) sign your name and declare Antifa (the anti fascist league) terrorists.

Jesus save us.

21 Likes

Purposefully designed as a feature.

14 Likes

Dangerous MOBS of far-left groups

Which is exactly how the Nazis saw any anti-fascists. Hence their use of this symbol to mark them as such.

Whoever created this ad knew exactly what they were doing.

57 Likes

Canadian Tire, you’re next!

8 Likes

Guess I’ll let my avatar show who I sympathise with.

39 Likes

So what doo-doo head company decided that this was a perfectly cromulent use of this symbology?

5 Likes

The odd thing about this is that usually there’s some meaning behind the image which one could plausibly claim was intended. A red triangle has no obvious meaning which you can ascribe to it without context. It’s a shape. It means nothing without context.

8 Likes

“When people show you who they are, believe them.” - Maya Angelou

37 Likes

Correct, and the context in this case is politicians espousing right-wing ideological positions. But some would choose to ignore that context.

33 Likes

Smells like Miller to me.

29 Likes

You missed that there are 88 variations of the ad, and the first sentence has 14 words in it (they had to hyphenate one to make the word count). 1488 has shown up repeatedly in their materiel. (neo nazi slogans and such)

25 Likes

Maybe Miller, maybe Gorka…

9 Likes

Gorka’s a wannabe. Miller is unadulteratedly, actively evil.

20 Likes

The copy on this is quintessential trump
“It’s important that EVERY American comes together at a time like this…”

This is the sort of premise other presidents start many speeches with that is conspicuously absent from trump’s rhetoric. The one time he does call for “unity” of every American it is in an explicit statement that he does not consider a lot of the people in the country to be Americans

22 Likes

It had to be the KAPO

8 Likes

When I first saw these, I was really confused. I couldn’t tell what the triangle was supposed to be representing - but of course, they’re using it to represent “antifa.” And it’s not like someone just Googled “symbol of antifa” here. Although that is, in some sense, what it is: except it’s the fascist identifier for those who resisted them. Not only that, but then there’s the issue that they took out 88 ads, each with a 14 word first sentence. This was a very deliberate series of symbols aimed at a particular audience.

41 Likes

July 2016:

42 Likes

The ad goes side-by-side with turmp’s fundraising email calling for all patriots to join the “Trump Army”

Fortunately, they are encouraging supporters to spend $35 on a limited edition camouflage top-secret fascist identifier (but shh, don’t tell anyone).

16 Likes