Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

A cardinal waits to feed. There’s been quite a bit of predatory bird activity recently so the birds are wary. The main feeder is usually emptied in a day or two. This last time took close to two weeks.

22 Likes

Cardinals are, unsurprisingly, particularly cautious birds.

11 Likes

I’ve seen red-tailed hawks cruising over my town from time to time, and that might explain why I’ve seen very little bird activity today even though the wind is calm and it’s well over freezing outside.

I remember looking outside one summer, and everything seemed normal. Five minutes later, I looked out and the bird feeder was surrounded by feathers, as if a bird exploded.

9 Likes

Cute! We have a cardinal couple around here. They and the Bluejays are way shyer than the chickadees, tufted titmouses, myriad finches and nuthatches. I wonder if it’s because they’re so showy, make easier prey.
Our upstairs feeder holds about 1.5 lbs of seed. I started tracking in the fall, and it was empty every 3-4 days. Now I’m filling it every day!
Sometimes one of the less shy birds mentioned above will fly in while I’m still reattaching it to the top outside the window.

10 Likes
9 Likes

Ms. Sparks begins, "Blink once if you love cats, but do it slowly. Animal behaviourists have revealed the most effective way to befriend a feline: the ‘slow blink’.” To summarize the results of the first study to look at the role of slow-blinking in cat-human communication, the researchers write, “…our results suggest that slow blink sequences may function as a form of positive emotional communication between cats and humans.”

17 Likes

Orange puff cat will sometimes ignore his name or a ch-ch-ch call, but he always comes over for a slow blink.

19 Likes

I think there are exceptions, though. My Ruby starts a staring contest, and if you engage then she will start to purr and “make biscuits”.

13 Likes

I’ve heard it called a cat kiss :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

I used to call it a somewhat successful way to get kitty to close her eyes and go to sleep*…guess now I know why! :smile_cat:

*Usually works very well on babies and small children, so I gave it a shot.

11 Likes

I tried the winking trick with this cat that visits the neighborhood.

I think I was able to communicate with him.

I blinked and blinked and he answered me with a look that I interpreted as: “What’s up, Man? Can’t you see I’m in the shower?”

15 Likes

Looking out the window…from the top of the cat tree…in a box.

Strapped in

21 Likes

The visitor. Front and back.

17 Likes

The Blink Experiment. Subject two: No progress at all.

20 Likes

Hunter is guarding. Christmas is safe.

22 Likes

Coopers hawk, looking for Christmas dinner.

18 Likes

African Grey? I don’t know birds.

7 Likes

No, they’re real grey, with a black beak. Not sure what this guy is…besides talkative.

9 Likes

:smiley_cat:
ETA
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.06.55 AM

Pretty Boi!

9 Likes

Beautiful plumeage.

9 Likes