Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

I mock your rules.

22 Likes

The Wire III. House Wren.

19 Likes

Up here we have pigeons of the same genus, the band-tailed pigeon:

15 Likes

Cool. Very good picture, parabĂŠns!

Are these birds common in your area? I didn’t remember hearing the asa-branca singing when I was a child, let alone seeing one.

I’m afraid that as the city is growing into natural areas, animals have no choice but to start living in the midst of human homes.

8 Likes

Thanks, I love your pictures too, keep them coming. All the pictures and videos that I have posted in this thread I have taken myself in my yard. Having to work from home since the start of the lockdown here in California has allowed me to get to know better the local wildlife.

These are mourning doves, if not the same genus, at least the same family as the pigeons. They didn’t seem to be mourning when I took this video, quite the opposite.

14 Likes

No pics yet, but we almost certainly have a bobcat hanging around the area. I’ve been hearing the screams at night and at first thought it was a red fox bc we see them relatively frequently. But today I found some scat and IDed it, def bobcat. Going to set up the trail cam, I’ll post if I get any good shots! This is a special visitor.
Also, imagine hearing this if you were out camping! I would be quaking in my sleeping bag if I didn’t know what it was!

16 Likes

The Wire IV. Great Kiskadee, the bird that became meme.

VoilĂĄ le meme:

16 Likes

When I told my wife about your lurking cat, she was amazed and asked me how big it is. I don´t know, I replied, maybe something bigger than an ocelot and smaller than a jaguar. She asked me if it was a dangerous animal. Well, I have no idea. Do you think it is ferocious?

At least one good thing from these crazy times.

I can imagine this cat singing this song.

8 Likes

I think it sounds ferocious, but they mostly eat squirrels, which we have plenty of. They’re around 20 lbs, maybe around 4 ft long. Relatively small, but awesome!

11 Likes

Is one of your day jobs defending a flock of McNuggets?

7 Likes

Pshaw! I’m sure our bobcat would never stoop to eating such junk food. A gourmand, I can tell, who dines on only the finest squirrel tartare!

11 Likes

No, no, nothing like that. But if they try to get my fries…

Bah, So they’re very beautiful like tigers, but they’re not fierce like leopards. From what I understand, there is still no way to keep one of them at home like an Angora kitten…

8 Likes

Right. Or, I kind of think of them like large Maine coon cats, but without the glorious plume of a tail that the coon cats have.
Gotta tell you, though, seeing their prints in the snow is quite a thing. Glorious creatures.

11 Likes

OH! Papi has kiskadee at his home in Oaxaca! I have spent many hours watching them from the deck, catching flying bugs and returning, almost as if to show me what they are catching!

edit: this little guy is called a “false kiskadee”. apparently they look similar, but are not your “great” kiskadee. still, a lovely birb andfun to watch!

16 Likes

The Wire V. Sayaca Tanager.

As the sanhaço-do-mamoeiro doesn’t feed on nectar, the swallow-tailed hummingbird didn’t give a damn about the gray bird that landed on the Brazilian orchid tree.

17 Likes

It is not false! It is a generic one!

The kiskadees are brave birds. It is very common to see them attacking some unsuspecting hawk who had the misfortune to fly close to their nests.

13 Likes

dfbd16485a9df1bb71e179faac4269d4697a2458_2_371x500jpeg_phixr (1)

17 Likes

I miss the little human on his lap.

9 Likes
16 Likes

Yikes! A friend of mine hit a moose with her car in Highschool and it was really scary!
Drive safe, happy mutants.
But also, moose are awesome. I just saw one a couple weeks ago camping up north. They always somehow remind me of Tom Bombadil.

9 Likes