Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

I thought that was a pipe cleaner for second.

3 Likes

thanks! they’re planters and each holds about 340g of peanuts. there are two of them on the deck rail that get filled every morning. and believe me, I really hear about it when I’m a little bit late! the jays sit in the gumbo limbo trees and scream until I do. then their songs turn pretty again.

7 Likes

I’m going to look for something like that. I really want more jays around. The tray feeder is out in the middle of the yard, which is fine now, but when it’s negative 15 F with 3 ft of snow, that 50 foot walk feels a lot longer.

6 Likes

squirrels like them, too

16 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes

Love this!

Fall break project for Kiddo: go out after dark, sneak up on critters, and shine the pocket black light on them to see if they glow.

11 Likes

Oh! If you can get pics, you should post them if any of them glow!

9 Likes

Assuming my crappy cell phone camera can capture it, absolutely!

10 Likes

Not the same thing, but I have one of these for work:

It’s fun to try to capture wildlife with at night. You get both, the regular shot and the IR one.
And as a bonus, you can see where your house needs more insulation, or if there are squirrels living in your walls. :wink:
ETA, I have the most basic version.

12 Likes

In my ongoing effort to attract more bluejays, I finally, finally made a basic tray feeder to mount outside my (second story) office window after work yesterday, and it was immediately found by a tufted titmouse:

This morning all the peanuts were gone and as soon as I refilled it a Bluejay showed up! (too quick for a pic, though.)

Look who found it next:

She scared away the Bluejay, but this brave little chickadee showed the others it was alright, and now a few other smaller birds are coming by.

Visitors so far: blue jay, tufted titmouse, chickadee and white breasted nuthatch.
This is going to be so fun in the winter!
And today it’s nice so the window’s open Hearing their wing beats and the cute sounds of their feet on the wood is adorable. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

23 Likes

The state of Indiana has JUST recalled the ban on bird feeders – we were one of the states with an unprecedented number of dead birds, so they feared anything that made birds congregate might be a super spreader situation – and my friends and I are just starting to refill. Never thought of peanuts for birds that small, but now I’m going to have to try it.

13 Likes

I put a mix of peanuts and sunflower seeds. I was surprised the titmouses could handle a whole peanut! We have another hanging tray feeder in the yard, but the squirrels empty it before the jays have a chance. This one is nice because it’s inaccessible to squirrels.
And the bluejays have overcome their fear (that, or they noticed Myrtle wasn’t sitting there anymore).

This is clearly having an effect on my work productivity :joy:

I’m glad the state was looking out for birds, and also glad they’ve lifted the ban. I would be bummed to have to forego my feeders.

20 Likes

For now. Just give them time…
:wink:

19 Likes

They’re already giving it the eye, but I’d be mighty surprised if they could get here. We have another feeder hanging from a bracket outside the livingroom window (also 2nd story) and they’ve been trying for years to get to that one with no success so far.
One time one did a suicide leap from the closest tree to the nearest open window (screened, thank gawd) and clung and scrabbled for a bit before falling to the ground below (it was fine).
It’s fun to watch them try, though!

12 Likes
5 Likes

Cardinals found the new feeder today!
80E022C9-8B2B-49D9-A8AD-3AFC885FF663_4_5005_c

ETA: Oh, and I saw a chickadee abscond with an entire shelled peanut! Birds are amazing.

24 Likes

Shelled, as in it has a shell? Or shelled, as in it has had its shell removed?

English do be weird sometimes

8 Likes

Shelled as in inflammable :wink:

They were in the shell.

6 Likes

14 Likes