Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

This is Mr. Shoes (he really sits like that):

He also nurses on himself a few times a day, usually when he’s in my lap and feeling content. He’ll root around until he finds an imaginary nipple and nurse on himself for 5-10 minutes:

This is Petra (my daughter named her that, after Petra in Ender’s Game), I call her Little Bear. She’s my best girl, and has me entirely wrapped around her adorable feisty little bean toe:

Here she is getting ready for a night on the town:

26 Likes

I went to Round Rock to play some Pokémon Go (4 stops, all lit, café with AC, sublime). There’s a Mexican free-tailed bat colony that roosts through the Summer under an Interstate bridge, so I went off to see them for a while. The huge swarms of mosquito eating friends fanning out are especially beautiful in person. This one is a nursery colony with young bats hanging out in the bridge, and the moms flying out each night to collect enough food for themselves and their brood.

You can get quite close, I was hit with bat pee a number of times, though it’s still worth it for me. Nightmare scenario for photography, but I did what I could with the fast moving, jittery, erratic tiny creatures hanging out in lower light.

catching the sunset

25 Likes

Aaaaaaand now I have bat envy.

10 Likes

29 Likes

Those are great! We get bats around here in the evening, but never swarms like that.

8 Likes

I wish we had bats. They were seasonal in Central California when I was a kid, but I think they topped out at maybe 15?

9 Likes

Man, I thought my neighborhood was full of too many Zubats.

7 Likes

You know how badly I wished a Zubat would show up while I was out there? It was the one time I’ve ever wanted to see one.

5 Likes

Been ages since I’ve seen flying foxes. Used to be able to watch them in the evening, but haven’t seen any for, like a couple of years. :frowning2:

6 Likes

Side of hedgehog

25 Likes

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!  

11 Likes

D’awwwww!

9 Likes

Princess Perdita Pricklepants has completed her sitting for the Royal Pringles Portrait.

The official portrait

The honorable mention

Her Highness being done with this business now, thank you

20 Likes

I like the composition of a close crop of the second one:

16 Likes

Every time I see her I want to give her a treat. And living in a Dalmatian household I have an affection for the name ‘Perdita’. In the original novel the Darlings adopt a lost liver-spotted girl to act as Mrs Pongo’s nursemaid and name her Perdita.

That came from Dodie Smith’s real life experience.

7 Likes

They both were pretty cute. We used a cropped vers. of the first for FB/BBS, and the second for the Twitter since we couldn’t decide:
https://twitter.com/PPricklepants

7 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to merge the diverging Penelope/Perdita narrative into RatBoy the Younger’s reality. He seems to realize that they’re different, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes.

8 Likes

OMG, I was cleaning out the dupes to clear space, and I noticed this one:

15 Likes

High and mighty.
Cats love to be at high places, and just look at you…

It’s really high, hence the strange angle. Not sharp is my fault, not the phone camera. (The fan is not running, but it would be not a problem).

21 Likes

I love the rough hewn rafters. You don’t see construction like that here.

(Cat’s a cutie as well.)

6 Likes