24 Likes

Are those cows small, or far away?

11 Likes

Yes. ­

8 Likes

sturdy little cat, he is

He's like "thanks bro!"

2 Likes

This reminds me: The Audubon Society claims Birdie is a finch.

http://audubon.org/news/is-house-finch-feeling-bern

There are sparrows in my backyard all the time, but I don’t know much about finches.

7 Likes

I was torn between female house finch and sparrow when I first saw the video, but Audubon found hi-def video that clinches it. House finches are really common pretty much everywhere in the US except a sliver of the midwest, I see them all the time here now that I keep an eye out, though they aren’t as brave as sparrows, and are fairly similar unless you are checking, so you have to watch to spot them. They have a really distinct meandering warbly song that is the easiest way to know when they’re around. The males have red upper parts so they’re easier to spot:

Here’s one that was outside my office:

and one visiting the window feeder:

8 Likes

Those are awesome photos. The detail on the first is just unbelievable and the look of your subject’s face is too cute.

I’m bummed because I saw this gorgeous bluish finch at the park today, and I didn’t have my phone or camera. (I was theoretically exercising. :wink:)

3 Likes

Thanks, I like the expression on the second.

Was it an indigo bunting? They’re stunning. I never got a decent photo of one, but they look like this:

5 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous, but no. The blue on the one I saw was darker, almost blue jay-ish color. When he (I just assume “he” since beautiful colors tend to go masculine…sigh) flew close by, I saw some brown and some red underneath…and I swear a bit of green?

The only blues I’ve ever seen in SoCal have been blue jays in higher elevation.

2 Likes

Maybe a female western bluebird then? I’d love to see one of those one day. TX is mostly eastern birds, so we have eastern bluebirds, which are always awesome to spot.

4 Likes

It did a bit like those two. A lot of blue on the backside while flying around, which makes me think male rather than female. But the multicolored breast was what made me go, “wow.” So maybe female then?

1 Like

The males are a really bright blue with a more vibrant brown-orange on the breast, while the females are more muted, you’d know better than I which it looked like, though it sounds like you might have spotted that species. They’re really pretty things.

1 Like

The most interesting sighting was the time I was at a gas station near the traffic circle in Long Beach and I saw a hawk swoop down on a pigeon and rip it apart. Right in front of all of us at the station and the cars at the red light. I felt bad for both the pigeon and the hawk (because it must have been crazy hungry).

2 Likes

I saw a cooper’s hawk grab a white-winged dove out of the air on the drive to work last week, saw the dove flying with another bird approaching really fast, then saw it hit hard, there was a puff of feathers and the hawk dragged it down. We get cooper’s hawks (and sharp-shinned) in the yard a lot, they hang out on the bird feeder to feed on birds… But today I saw a northern harrier on the drive to the airport today with two crows harassing it. They only migrate through for a little while, really cool to spot.

If you’re still in SoCal, there are a lot of cool birds in the Bolsa Chica wetlands, mostly shore birds, but there are hawks and other things that visit. I wish I spent more time there when I lived out there. When I go out there now I try to hit Laguna Beach/Dana Point, lots of great birding on the shore (and the tide pools are always really cool just to look around in).

Black Phoebe:

Eared Grebe:

Black-bellied Plover:

Black-bellied Plover II:

Black Turnstone:

Black Turnstone II:

Willet with a crab:

Great Blue Heron:

12 Likes

That black phoebe looks like the little guy who hangs out in our back yard, waiting for me to refill the bird bath.

eta: Are all of those your own photos? Just incredible.

3 Likes

Black Phoebes are western, I’ve seen them in CA/AZ, beautiful things. We get eastern phoebes here, which are still cool, though not as cool (sorry eastern phoebes). And thanks, yes those are ones I took in Laguna & Dana Point.

3 Likes

Well, thanks for sharing them!

3 Likes

Careful - it doesn’t take much for me to pull out bird photos.

11 Likes

That’s definitely a finch body and beak…I’m no birder, but I know enough to accept that The Audubon Society has cracked the mystery. :wink:

3 Likes