Postcard mailed to Americans to boast of Trump’s role in stimulus checks cost $28 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/28/postcard-mailed-to-americans-t.html

6 Likes

I don’t believe I ever got one. I want our money back.

19 Likes

Think of how many Maralago golf trips that could cover.

17 Likes

Nice. I’ve still been having a hard time getting my hands on paper products. :smirk:

11 Likes

And yet, no one in Trump World will adhere to what are allegedly Trump’s own guidelines. This administration and its enablers are just professional trolls eager to watch everything burn down.

5 Likes

Did they at last pay the post office to deliver it? If so, I’m ok with that part.

The low key campaign ad not so much.

7 Likes

Another mailing? A couple weeks I found a letter from the IRS in the mailbox and thought “WTF?” and it was just a letter from Trump telling me I got the stimulus payment I already got. I handed it to my son and said “Our tax dollars at work.”

23 Likes

This is why we need an upper bar for an age limit, rather than just a lower bar when it comes to legislators. If you’re currently an unhealthy 70 y/o, what the hell do you care about climate change? You’ll probably be dead in ~2 decades or less when the real shiat is going to start hitting the fan. If you’re in you’re in your thirties or have kids you should be freaking the F out.

9 Likes

I got a double-sided letter – the opposite side in Spanish – but haven’t received a postcard yet. Unless I threw it away. Which is possible.

Interestingly, on the Spanish side they have “$2.2 billones” instead of “$2.2 trillones”… oops. Time to mail out a correction?

My guess is five.

My guess is no. Mainly because if Trump is involved, nobody who should get paid gets paid.

13 Likes

I wonder if the American public will be getting a follow-up message saying “Congress wanted to send out a second round of stimulus checks but Trump and his Senate allies said they wouldn’t support it.”

8 Likes

If they do, they’ll spin it in a way that it’s the Democrats fault, so that’s why you need to vote for Trump in November.

2 Likes

I got an automatic deposit in my bank account, so they sent this postcard to let me know, as if I wouldn’t notice the transaction marked “IRS Treas tax ref.” in my statement.

I used to hear people describe themselves as “fiscally conservative”-- does that even mean anything?

8 Likes

Mine too, now that I’ve looked again… I’m thinking this is something like the US English billion (1012) vs. the (archaic?) British English billion (1018). Apparently 1012, in Spanish, is billón.

Also:

7 Likes

I know right? Probably almost one!

2 Likes

Didn’t get the postcard, haven’t seen the check yet. According to the website, it was mailed a week ago, but…

1 Like

The prepaid debit cards (if you don’t read the fine print, be warned) also come with a bunch of charges. Even checking the balance will cost you $0.25; withdrawals after the first one cost more. OTC withdrawals (again, after the first) cost $5.00

Same scam used to cheat workers out of their pay.

Curiously, they use the debit cards even for people who receive SS payments by direct deposit, unless they received the 2018 refund by direct deposit or are on the “don’t have to file returns” short end. It’s almost as though they went out of their way to funnel money to a third party. Amazing.

13 Likes

I got a letter…envelope and all. Paper was too stiff to use for the appropriate purpose.

5 Likes

I’m surprised Trump didn’t force an amendment that all payments had to flow through payday lenders…

10 Likes

It’s grifters all the way down.

11 Likes

I just got my payment as a debit card but without a postcard. Pain in the ass, because I can’t transfer the full amount at one time and it takes 2 business days to go through. If it were a check I could deposit it by cell phone.

Its going to paying my taxes. So essentially back from whence it spawned from.

3 Likes