Power outlets have 2 hidden tools

Originally published at: Power outlets have 2 hidden tools | Boing Boing

17 Likes

Up next: did you know your caulk gun has both a foil piercer and a nozzle cutter included?

17 Likes

As neat as it was to learn this new fact, I was even more delighted by Ms. Bolden’s friendly delivery and intro. I’ll be coming back to that channel to look for advice.

31 Likes

She’s great. Her videos are geared to beginners, but I’ve learned things on subjects I thought I was knowledgeable about, including the wire stripper trick from this one.

ETA: I checked and an outlet I had lying around doesn’t have the stripping notches. Maybe it’s a recent addition?

15 Likes

No. I just looked it up and you’re right. Amazing.

However my caulking gun has a cast metal handle and two bars instead of a half-round channel to hold the end, actually just like the one at the very start of this video.

So I have neither of these handy features. :frowning_face:

13 Likes

They seem SO HAPPY to be helping people! I’m hooked!

14 Likes

subscribed

3 Likes

Personally, the delivery and pacing of the video drove me up the wall.

It was over a third of the video before she started talking about the two tools, and when she did, she glossed over the guage so fast I had to rewind and watch it again to figure out where it actually was (and then she showed a clip of stripping off significantly more than the guage indicated).

She’s obviously a really nice and friendly person, but could probably use an editor…

7 Likes

Not every model or manufacturer includes them. She labels the brand in the video, Eaton.

It might be specific to them. I was vaguely aware of this, but haven’t seen one in a long time. We get this sort of thing through, or by recommendation of, my uncle the Electrician. And I don’t think a professional would have much need for that particular feature.

It’s on a different spot on pretty much every brand of outlet. But it’s clearly labeled “strip guide” often it’s just a printed line. The stripper slots are likewise clearly labelled where they exist.

1 Like

Neat! I totally forgot about their channel. The tape measure video blew my mind and I already knew about half of the tricks.

9 Likes

WHAT WHAT!

[acljhbljblvjbalbL.,MA BH]

3 Likes

TIL. I knew about the wire gauge but not stripper. I assumed that design where the stripper is was just a cost saving measure and/or to allow for some flex.

Good stuff.

3 Likes

I have seen her videos before and really like them. She reminds me of one of my dear personal friends which may be another reason why I like her videos so much.

5 Likes

Also, the plastic cap on the butt end of craft knives often includes a slot which you can use to safely snap off blade segments. And the little gas pump light on a dashboard faces left or right to tell you which side the car’s gas cap is on.

2 Likes

For a lot of youtube how to/diy videos, I find playing them on 1.5-2x’s speed makes them much more palatable, this one was better at 2x.

4 Likes

Just checked, and the two I have do not have either of these handy-dandy features.

1 Like

Harbor Freight?

Close. Lowe’s bottom bin.

2 Likes

Lifehack: Did you know you can use your cheapo caulking gun as a rudimentary clamp?

Follow me for more limited-use alternative tool uses!

14 Likes

Speed up. omg she speaks slowly.