Searching for the best wire stripper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/07/searching-for-the-best-wire-st.html

2 Likes

I heard an anecdote about a techie who got chewed out by his boss for inappropriate internet use at work after the firewall flagged him for searching for “ideal strippers” on company time.

11 Likes

I need to be able to strip wire around smashable, scratchable, and shatterable glass objects. The automatic wirestrippers look like they might save me from my own awkwardness.

1 Like

I am so glad I saw this. I’ve owned the Irwin self-adjusting stripper for a year or so. I’ve always had trouble using it. It came with no instructions and I had no idea that the yellow plastic thing was a strip gauge. I’ve been putting the wire in so that it goes over the strip gauge instead of adjusting it (I had no idea it was adjustable). I just tested it out and it works flawlessly when used correctly.

2 Likes

Between BoingBoing Store and Cool Tools suggestions I rarely need to look anywhere else.
This one will cost me.

1 Like

TLDR: Boingboing ranks the best strippers.

I can’t wait

4 Likes

Might I also recommend The Wirecutter website for recommendations on many things? Including, of course, a wire cutter (originally posted on April Fool’s day, after much complaining over the years that despite their name they hadn’t yet reviewed such an item)

1 Like

Knipex.

I’m stripping right now!

10 Likes

I’ve owned and used the same RadioShack wire-stripping pliers for 20 years.
Similar to these:

And they are utter pieces of shit. I hate them… I seriously need to invest in something better.

Edit: The same Irwin pliers recommended here are $40 on Amazon.fr… Damn it…

I have a self-adjusting one of the ‘vise grip’ style top-rated here, and while it’s great it shares a major annoyance with all of this style: the stripped insulation is somehow magnetically attracted to the die and must be painstakingly dislodged after every strip. I end up hammering them on the bench. Major PITA.

Somewhere I have a RadioShack Self-Adjusting Vise-Grip Wire Stripper, gosh I think it’s 16th years old. Hmm it’s claims it’s a Kronus, guessing that was the Radio Shack brand.

It never did do as good as a job as just normal wire strippers, grip always felt loose.

Good to know that was because I had a low quality tool.

These wire strippers are junk. I bought them they are not what they say they are. Do not like them. As a certified electrician I would stick with Klien. I gave these a try? Very disappointing. C-

Those self-adjusting Vise-Grip wire strippers are going to nick the wire every time. If you want automagic, stick to the type with a die-cutter.

1 Like

The best wire strippers are now, and will always be klein’s diagonal cutting pliers. Once you get the feeling for appropriate pressure, you’ll never go back.

Here you go!

5 Likes

I’ve been using this style of stripper for so long that I sometimes forget that people still have to use the old crappy “vaguely sharp holes drilled in a set of useless pliers” style things. The ones I have are from a different company (and over 10 years old) but use the same design.

Engineer.jp makes some pretty good stuff:

Especially if you are using the expensive teflon wire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.