Powerwashed sidewalk stenciling

Originally published at: Powerwashed sidewalk stenciling | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Someone get Banksy a power washer.

12 Likes

The idea reminds me of malicious compliance.

12 Likes

It sure did give me ideas about the next time my HOA says I need to power wash my walk, stoop or siding! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

16 Likes

My neighbor does this using his doily-frilly doormat on the sidewalk. It looks cool.

15 Likes

As I mentioned in the last power washer article, I’ve actually been trained on/used those things, and “partially cleaning” is not exactly what’s going on there - they’re literally etching away the surface of the sidewalk and carving that logo into it. There’s a concrete block with my initials through it sitting in the back lot of the post-fire cleaning place I worked for (along with the initials of everyone else they’ve trained) that demonstrates this.

Admittedly, the guy in the video is using a pretty low strength power washer, since that floppy stencil would have been utterly destroyed with the one I was using, but the principle remains - long after the dirt and grit have re-established themselves on that sidewalk, you’ll still be able to spot a faint outline of the logo that was carved into it.

19 Likes
6 Likes

Great idea! I now want a giant stencil for the concrete paving slabs on my drive, that says “Go Away”.**

** Actual words may differ, but convey similar meaning. :wink:

9 Likes

When I was little, I used to try to write my name in the snow with my pee, also.

5 Likes

“there is probably no law against partially cleaning something”
Someone please explain this to the owner of the Tesla on which I wrote “Eat the rich” with my finger on his dirty window.

6 Likes

Grinchy! 2% classy since it’s so detail-conscious! State House Sidewalk Props here we come!

4 Likes

The idea reminds me of malicious compliance.
[/quote]

Extra likes for quoting The Good Soldier Švejk by proxy. I gave my mum a copy of that may years ago. A good book.

5 Likes

Could be a different technique, he has to repeatedly go over the same location multiple times, and it looks to be a pretty wide stream. A few degrees of angle makes a pretty big difference in the force of output (as does distance), and you already noted how flimsy that stencil appears…

Now, this isn’t my field, so I will concede I may not be aware of something. But I know there’s a big difference between my 30/15/5/0 nozzle heads, and I’m pretty sure the city would prefer businesses not etch permanent slogans into the sidewalk. I could imagine there’s room for both approaches. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This also reminds me of the stenciled superhydrophobic stenciled artwork. Back when I went to church with/for my ex, I always wanted to do a set of footprints walking up to our Episcopal church here in Seattle. :stuck_out_tongue:

How to Make Rain Drawings With NeverWet Superhydrophobic Coating : 3 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

4 Likes

No eye protection. Good for him.

The Trumpists are on the cutting edge. They’ve found a way to get charged for removing algae.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.