Predatory lender found to have swindled veterans' pensions for eight years, so Trump's CFPB fined him $1

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/26/bonus-army.html

8 Likes

Just the same thing that they do with poor people that cannot afford a fine! No double standard! Nothing to see here! /s

32 Likes

That’s okay, it’s the thought that counts.

2 Likes

Ask me if I’m shocked by this. Go on. Ask me.

14 Likes

This really is the definition of villainy. I so wish, when the sane folks get back control, they could throw the lot of them in prison for a long time. Probably nothing will happen to them, though. Since they accepted guilt and paid their fine, the case is closed. Corruption at its finest. :weary:

21 Likes

Offer him a loan at mumble-mumble interest rates.

30 Likes

Insert fuuuuuck.gif here.

9 Likes

Has the right wing support group started a go fund me project yet?

15 Likes

How do you go about creating obstacles so it becomes impossible for the guy to pay that dollar and we get to see all the dire warnings come true? This ought to turn out like ‘Brazil’.

4 Likes

Conservatives love the troops, as long as they’re bleeding and dying for the sake of big corporations. And they love the veterans, as long as they stay quiet and don’t complain while they’re cheated and robbed of their benefits.

The American right never learns. Here’s another piece of history from the Dirty Thirties they’ve forgotten:

24 Likes

Are you shocked?

3 Likes

Hmmm, one possibility could be that by accepting the fine he admits guilt. Debt accrued through criminal means cannot be discharged, not even through personal bankruptcy. So that might at minimum force him to cough up the money for the veterans he never gave the agreed-upon sum. If he tries to slink out of that one a court could order repossession and auction of his belongings as well as garnishing his earnings until the debt is paid.

9 Likes

With credentials like that I’m surprised they didn’t order him to serve as a White House adviser. But I suppose some punishments are too cruel to even consider.

6 Likes

giphy

12 Likes

I was thinking either VA administrator or an investment talking head for Fox Business.

4 Likes

Donald Trump Mick Mulvaney and the Republican Party are complete and total fucking scum.

I can’t believe they do something like this this is beyond the pale even for them.

5 Likes

what would gomer and the sarge do ?

1 Like

Yup, Republicans and Conservatives “support the troops”… with made-in-china yellow ribbons and red white & blue truck nuts, and that’s about it. Meanwhile, the rest of the rest of the country supports the troops with actual meaningful actions and legislation (see, for example, health care legislation for the 9/11 responders), but without all the overt flag waving, and get called unpatriotic for their efforts. But guess which party soldiers mostly vote for?

The same exact thing happens here. It’s baffling.

12 Likes

Yeah, it really seems like the harder you screw the Right Wing base, the more fervently they support you. All those people who got burned by Trump University are probably die-hard Qanon believers now.

9 Likes

2 Likes