President Obama's tech-centered State of the Union: full text, and digital rights concerns

[quote=“davidasposted, post:40, topic:50356”]
you become a meaningful member of your own community in the process instead of spending your time chasing unicorns.
[/quote]I agree with most of your points, but I think despite the negative similarities of national politicians, it’s hardly chasing after unicorns to mobilize voting for the lesser evil in order to enable local agendas.

As a matter of fact, a lot of those small-scale agendas can be hampered or even destroyed by empowering greater evil at a national and state level. For example, as I mentioned in a previous response, the only way we, as local Denver activists, were enabled to get marijuana legalized locally in Colorado was a symbiotic combination of city/county, state and national voting results that put the lesser evil Democrats in power all at once.

Otherwise, we would have been chasing after unicorns (as you say) instead of making quantifiable, positive changes as we accomplished within our state locally that’s now spreading nationwide (and worldwide).

In other words, local politics don’t happen in a vacuum.

See also:

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

With lots of commentary:

Pretty much just the translated book:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/polisci211z/1.1/Sun%20Tzu.pdf

More: