Press looks the other way as thousands march for Sanders in 45+ cities

Well, you know building a giant ass wall between the USA and Mexico, then getting the Mexican government to pay for it, all the while suspending the constitutional rights of US citizens that happen to be Muslim, and want to return to their own country…

Outrageous?

What are you, some sort of commie pinko terrorist?

Now I hear he’s a businessman, and knows things, like how the heck are you going to pay for something like college education or health care? A giant continent wide wall yes, education? Hells no!

8 Likes

So you would rather have Trump in office, who will ruin the economy and turn the USA into an even more racist shithole just because your candidate didn’t get the nomination? That’s a case of putting ideology before practicality that the right is completely banking on. Trump is turning out to be a surprising powerhouse in this election; he’s turning it into a game of pro-wrestling with quite high stakes.

I honestly don’t like either Sanders or Clinton. I don’t like Clinton’s aggression or Sanders’s isolation; but I will sure as hell be voting for whoever is not on the GOP side, because they are all nuts and will hurt everyone much more than either Sanders or Clinton (we could have the next president be nominating as many as 3 SCOTUS justices, the house is unlikely to be taken back from the nutty right and if we get one of these assholes in power we may lose a lot in the process). I hate the vote for the lesser of the evils, but that’s how this game is currently played.

4 Likes

“Press looks the other way as thousands march for sanders…”

you mean like Boingboing…

“Clinton, very likely the Democratic nominee,” who again repeats the anoited one’s press release…

1 Like

I don’t have the option of voting in this election, but if I did there’s no way I’d vote for Clinton. She’s a war mongering right wing authoritarian completely in the pocket of big business.

• No thanks!

Of course I don’t prefer Trump - I’m not a brain dead thirteen year old.

If the Democratic party insists really want Clinton, then fuck them - they deserve to lose!

4 Likes

Remember when Facebook announced they’d been experimenting with manipulating user’s moods by altering their newsfeeds?

How much do you think Zuckerberg charges per election?

7 Likes

Maybe the UK and the US can collaborate on this…

A vote for Bernie Saunders in the US looks pretty much like a vote for Jeremy Corbyn in the UK. The two people themselves are good people, but have they got an entire matching set to fill a government? Probably not. If either side got in by themselves, then everyone else would gang up against them. But if we could pair up voters in the two countries to say “I will vote for mine if you vote for yours”, instead of voting tactically, then maybe people in larger numbers might. There is no way of enforcing this, but if I got to know some other person in the US who might go for Bernie, then we might both encourage each other. I think we are the sort of people on both side who won’t rat you out in the prisoners dilemma.

This is not without risks. There are lots of young people here who can’t remember the real Old Labour. I remember them. They weren’t all nice. I got sacked from a job by my trade union because I had a ‘poncy public school accent’ (true). But there are people who think you can help the poor and the powerless without playing France France Revolution.

Okay. maybe this won’t work. But we, the 99%, have to try something while we still can.

2 Likes

He gets paid in dodgy sunglasses ads.

Fixed that for you.

It’s corporate Drumpf.

Have you (or @Boundegar) seen this one? It’s a pretty great narrative account of mass media mobilization against Upton Sinclair’s End Poverty in California gubernatorial campaign — well researched and entertaining.

3 Likes

No, that looks amazing! I’ll have to add it to my reading list.

1 Like

It is rigged to the right, sure, but moreso it’s rigged to sixth grade. Maybe kindergarten or preschool. The more potty humor and playground insults are thrown, the more “interesting” it is. Because think about the general cognitive level of the USA.

A common insult for Australians is “shackle draggers.” Well we in the US are the original cultural and political rejects of Europe. Ozzies pale in comparison. I mean come on, buckles on our hats? Leaky boats because we felt religiously oppressed? So stupid. And we are collectively still stupid. We deserve Trump in every sense. I don’t want him, but we deserve him. Or someone worse than him like Cruz. Or someone even worse, unimaginably worse. Some undiscovered asshole even worse than all these other assholes.

This is one fucked up country and maybe we need our faces rubbed in shit for four or eight or sixteen years before we wake the fuck up.

Sorry to be the wanker but I’m sick of this political cycle. I’ve had my fill, like three months ago, while the rest of the country is just barely getting started. Bunch of fucking idiots.

1 Like

Oops, sorry for my lapse!

The Greg Mitchell book about Tricky Dick’s sexist attacks on Helen Gahagan Doulas is wonderful. It’s his other book that’s about the mass media attacks on the EPIC campaign.

Both are terrific. The second one (below) is more responsive to @Boundegar’s question.

Greg Mitchell, The Campaign of the Century: Upton Sinclair’s Race for Governor of California and the Birth of Media Politics

1 Like

Hmmm… what was the question again?

1 Like

Wasn’t this it?

1 Like

Hey, we didn’t start that nonsense.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.