Pretenders, Back on the Chain Gang, 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/pretenders-back-on-the-chain.html

6 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaCm91oy5M

8 Likes

“Chrissie Hynde’s voice is apparently immortal.”

You weren’t kidding!

Although I do enjoy when some singers have more mellow version as they get older. It really is interesting. I think the 20 year old version of Dead Man’s Party was linked here recently, as an example?

9 Likes

Even though it’s acoustic – which is lovely – I still wish Martin Chambers were there to softly hit the snare with brushes.

6 Likes

Man, I wonder what she’d do with Middle of the Road these days. Or even weirder: Tattooed Love Boys.

Another star of my youth whose performance chops have held up stunningly well: Suzanne Vega.

Google her Tiny Desk concert. Her voice hasn’t aged a day.

9 Likes

Same.

1 Like

I just… can’t… The Pretenders.

I had a coworker a long time ago who listened to Rush Limbaugh and that damned song is now forever equated with awfulness. Not to mention Chrissie Hynde’s anti-feminist politicking just to add some cream on top.

Oh well, the Chain Gang song is very pretty.

(edit)

The Fidel Castro t-shirt, whether ironic or not, doesn’t go unnoticed.

Hynde put out a fantastic new jazz album, Valve Bone Woe, at the end of last year.

Her father was a big fan of Rush Limbaugh, a fact that she acknowledged when Trump gave RL the medal of freedom. The fact that she was unwilling to cancel her dad says absolutely fuck-all about her own politics.

1 Like
2 Likes

Unrelated related… Never forget:

Thanks, Gareth! I love them!

That’s just a couple of weeks before she was murdered. What a fucking tragedy.

1 Like

Reminder that they just put out a new album this year and it’s one of the best I’ve heard all year.

Erasure… love to hate you…

1 Like

So much of my history of music is about the 80’s. This song ranks right there at the top as the best of that era. OK, maybe Blitzkrieg Bop is slightly better, but still.

1 Like

“I saw a picture of you … those were the happiest days of my life” November, 1975

1 Like

Never heard of her “anti-feminist politicking”…can you elaborate please?

When I google it, I get mostly articles from 2019-2020 (where she dismisses Me Too), 2015 where she complains that modern feminism equates to dressing like sluts etc. But before then even back in the 80’s and 90’s she was outspoken about her dislike of the movement.

Too right!

And @Mindysan33 so is Andy Bell’s. But I wonder how they got JK Simmons to wear shades and join them as keyboard player.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 18.23.51
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 18.24.51

1 Like

Nah, nah, nah… clearly Vince Clarke has just been moonlighting as an actor for years…

Also… look at his fucking awesome studio!!!

Sorry Alan Wilder, you lose my favorite former member of Depeche Mode award!

1 Like