Pretty sure 'The Alchemist' graphic novel was illustrated for the male gaze

Rivers of London started (and continues) as a series of novels, unillustrated.

1 Like

Well, I think your observations are correct, even if I disagree with how you phrased it above.

In general. the “main stream” books are “safe” and fairly homogenized. Not that you don’t have exciting story lines or artists some times, but if you compare it to indie comics, they aren’t as creative. And certainly if you started reading comics in the 70s and 80s, the later, slicker 90s look and modern era is just aesthetically different. I would say that modern artists do have their own signature style, but if you aren’t into it, then you aren’t going to notice it as much.

It is like not being into a specific genre of music. “All country/rap/heavy metal sounds the same to me!” But if you’re into that music, you can definitely discern between the various bands.

Fun fact - I took a life drawing class with Richard Corben. Dude was fucking amazing. I am sure I annoyed him, but I tried not to get in his face too much. I wish I had brought something for him to sign. The problem was that I knew OF him, but didn’t have any of his works. I ended up buying a graphic novel for him to sign last day of class, but he didn’t show up.

And then years later I realized going through my TMNT books, that I did have an issue he did!

RIP to a great one!

2 Likes

Used ones are the way to go. Also, the library has them! Oh I would have KILLED for graphic novels at the library as a kid!

1 Like

The stories Ben Aaronovitch wrote for the comic series do not appear in any of the novels, but they are canon. Later novels will allude to events that were depicted in the comic books.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.