Price reduction on dual USB wall outlet: $15.29

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/02/price-reduction-on-dual-usb-wa.html

I can appreciate the tidiness of having the AC/DC transformer hidden away, but most models of these seem to have heat issues, and chargers keep being pushed to deliver more power faster - plugging in wall warts and power bricks just seems easier somehow…

Not to mention safer (because you get to choose who makes the transformer instead of just getting whatever was cheapest the week they put the outlet together over in China) and not to mention that if the transformer dies on you, you can just unplug it and plug in a new one. Which isn’t very viable for a transformer built into your wall outlet.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have a 6-port charger from Anker, for about the cost of two of these. I can move it anywhere in the house that’s convenient, and when the inevitable standard change comes, I won’t be faced with replacing a bunch of obsolete outlets.

edit: @Glaurung said pretty much what I did, and said it 60 seconds earlier. :grin:

At that price, I have a difficult time believing that any of the purported certifications are legitimate. Topgreenr appears to be one of the many east Asian import brands that are spawned specifically for Amazon and propped up by so much hot air.

Stick to Hubbell or Leviton or one of the known-good brands that won’t invalidate your homeowner’s insurance… your safety is worth far more than an extra few bucks.

5 Likes

This is all you need to know about this product:

TOPGREENER warranties … “There are no obligations or liabilities on the part of our company for consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of this product or other indirect damages with respect to loss of property, revenue, or profit, or cost of removal, installation or re-installation.”

4 Likes

That’s not a warranty. More like an uncertainty.

3 Likes

Just make your own. Then you can use nice transformers. And make it firewire instead.

1 Like

Or USB-C.

Or POE. USB is a last-resort in my house.

1 Like

Eh, now that I have a new MacBook and an Android phone that can actually share the same charger, I’m actually excited for everything to be on USB-C.

Unfortunately, Apple will probably turn around tomorrow and say that, actually, just kidding, now everything’s going to get power over wireless VGA cables instead.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.