Priceless ancient Roman bust sold for $34.99 at a Texas Goodwill

Originally published at: Priceless ancient Roman bust sold for $34.99 at a Texas Goodwill | Boing Boing

11 Likes

So…where did Germany get this priceless Roman bust? Did they “source it” out from under the Italians? I can’t help but think about Great Britain and the Elgin Marbles.

19 Likes

There were many Roman settlements in what is now Germany. It may have come from one of those. Much of what is now Baden-Württemberg was under Roman occupation.

21 Likes

Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that, but Germany being unhappy about stolen art during WWII is a little bit ahem.

18 Likes

Harrison Ford That Belongs In A Museum GIF

14 Likes

Unfortunately not much I can find on that. The best I found is

How the sculpture went from Italy to Bavaria, presumably in the 19th century, is not a matter of dispute.
From Looted Roman bust, bought from Texas secondhand store for $34.99, will be returned to Germany

5 Likes

I hope she got her $34.99 back.

8 Likes

Since she paid the sticker price of $34.99, does that mean it is no longer priceless?

29 Likes

She got a finder’s fee from the Bavarian government. But the exact terms are confidential.

More pics here, the place I first saw the story. So the $35 sculpture you got at an Austin Goodwill was looted from a museum during WWII. Now what? | KUT Radio, Austin's NPR Station

9 Likes

Man, if I found a carved marble head, I think I would assume it would be a modern replica, but also that it’s worth way more than $35.

5 Likes

The story says the families and heirs of collectors want their stuff back.

How does anyone know if the collectors obtained the stuff legally?

2 Likes
5 Likes

Keeping in mind these are not the same Germans from the 1930s/40s. It can be easy to forget that. Unless it is a looted piece, I would hope modern Germany would work towards its return. That’s what best for the art world.

ETA: from a linked article, “It was listed as a portrait bust of a man named Drusus Germanicus.” Likely locally sourced, not looted.

ETA again. Not. Not not not not not not not the same Germans. FFS. So, so sorry. Yeesh

9 Likes

6 Likes

Confused Wake Up GIF by NETFLIX

7 Likes

theres a photo of the actual bust on the linked article. not sure why boingboing is using another image…

18 Likes

Yeah, he’s definitely got that “Only 35 bucks?” look on his face.

16 Likes

Ffs. See my ETA. Not sure what happened there. Not not but not.

5 Likes

Sorry… was making a joke about the gold train…

4 Likes

I’m interested in finding out how some GI carried a 52lb marble bust back home.

5 Likes