Gustav Klimt portrait, lost for a century, turns up in Vienna

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/27/gustav-klimt-portrait-turns-up-in-vienna-after-going-missing-a-century-ago.html

8 Likes

I do hope it is displayed after the auction, not locked in a climate-controlled vault in an economic free zone like so many other works.

19 Likes

@beschizza

It’s Fräulein, not Fraulein.

I know this is not how it’s handled in English, but diacritics are really not optional. a and ä are completely different letters in the same way that e and a are.

If you don’t have easy access to the letter (which isn’t really the case in modern times, because even if you don’t want to find out which extra key to press on your keyboard, you can always copy and paste from Wikipedia), ae is an acceptable substitute (i.e. Fraeulein)

17 Likes

Except in Häagen-Dazs.

But yeah… Frau and Fräulein are totally different and change the meaning of the painting.

3 Likes

True, but its a PITA to do accented letters on English keyboards, unless you’re practiced at that sort of thing.

While I like Klimt, I much prefer his contemporary, Egon Schiele. Still, it is neat it has survived.

3 Likes

Schiele.

7 Likes

This:

an international agreement to return Nazi-looted art to the descendants of the people they were taken from

Seems inconsistent with this:

they had so far found no evidence that the work had been looted or stolen before or during World War Two.

“Don’t look behind the curtain!”

2 Likes

Schïëlë?

6 Likes

Gesundheit!

8 Likes

This means nothing to me…

5 Likes

Given that the painting had disappeared about the end of World War One, wherever it was, it wasn’t stolen from its original owners during World War Two. It may have been looted and resold at that point, but the article fails to mention any provenance for the intervening years.

6 Likes

German GIF

5 Likes

/waves it off
Oh, who ceres ebout spalling.

6 Likes

Gustav Klimt portrait, lost for a century, turns up in Vienna

That looks nothing like him!

Look! Just look!

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_3b8015c2-77b2-420b-bb06-2108a799eb8f

11 Likes

I love how boingboing threads get derailed in the most novel and unexpected was.

4 Likes

ETA: But seriously, folks, that’s a beautiful painting, even for Klimt! and I heartily agree with @NukeML.

3 Likes

Fixed. It’s easy on Macs to do diacritics, one of the reasons I always return to them. Just never get used to the weird codes you have to type on on Windöws.

9 Likes

I have a cheat sheet saved in my toolbar, so I can copy and paste letters with diacritics, curious phonetic thingies, a few icon-sized images, and some foreign phrases.

:snowflake: ❅ ❆ ☆ ★ ⋆ ✪ ≛ :star_of_david: ✦ ✧ ✫ ✬ ✯ ✰ :eight_pointed_black_star: ✵ ✶ ✷ ✸ ✹ ❂ ☾☽

♫ ♩ ♪ ♬ ♮ ♯ ♭ E♯ ✿ ☼ :sunny: :cloud: :open_umbrella: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: ℛ ☞ ॐ :skull_and_crossbones: :smiling_face: ∞ ☥ ◊ ✁ :phone: Ω :wheel_of_dharma:

∀ Á á À à Â â Ą ą Æ æ Ǣ ǣ Å å Ã ã Ä ä Ā ā ā͂ Ǟ ǟ Ǡ ǡ

Ḇ ḇ Ḃ ḃ Ḅ ḅ Ƀ ƀ Ɓ ɓ ᵬ ᶀ Ӹ

Ç ç Ć ć С́ с́ Ḉ ḉ Ĉ ĉ Č č Ċ ċ Ƈ ƈ Ȼ ȼ C̄ c̄

Ð ð đ Ɗ ɗ Ḋ ḋ Ḍ ḍ Ḑ ḑ Ḓ ḓ Ď ď Ḏ ḏ

É é Ê ê È è Ę ę Ĕ ĕ Ě ě Ɇ ɇ Ė ė Ẹ ẹ Ɛ ɛ ɜ З з Ә’ ә’ Ə ə ɘ Э э Ë ë ẻ Ē ē Ẽ ẽ ∃ З́ з́ Ҽ ҽ Ҿ ҿ ∑

Ϝ ϝ Ƒ ƒ Ḟ ḟ

Ǥ ǥ Ĝ ĝ Ğ ğ Ģ ģ Ɠ ɠ Ġ ġ

I like using the phonetic, etc “weird” ones for folder titles, such as my ĦĄÜŊŢØⱠÕǤƳ music folder.

4 Likes

Hey, if I painted a self-portrait I’d give myself more hair too! And a nicer dress.

And I’d probably shave off the beard I’d have to grow first.

7 Likes

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

3 Likes