Priest accidentally invalidates thousands of baptisms by using the wrong pronouns

Easy: “Romani ite domum.” It’s the accusative of motion towards.

Oh, I can help you with that one! Get your Clerical Errors today.

Well no, of course not. Sorcery would be spontaneous casting, and I think it would have be more formal than that. Of course if we’re talking about priests, certainly it would involve Divine spells instead of the Arcane spells, which absolutely puts an end to the idea of this as a Sorcerer spell. (With the exception of a very few Sorcerer archetypes, I guess.)

4 Likes

I just checked my Baptismal Certificate from 1964 (I’m very organized and have all documents scanned and searchable) there is no transcription of what was said, it’s recorded and I’m taking the paper to heaven with me just in case.

6 Likes

Ah, but can you provide a copy of the long form baptismal record?

7 Likes

St. Peter gets the entire certificate complete with raised seal from the Archdiocese of Detroit.

But, I would think St. Peter already has a copy.

I wonder if heaven has digitized records yet. If not I’m going to have get all the originals together.

1 Like

Actually, that is what got us here in the first place…

10 Likes

I’ve had people get mad at me before for telling them that I think their God is an asshole, and if he turns out to be real, I really have no interest in going to his heaven. Now I have one more example to prove my point.

5 Likes

You’d think an all powerful, all knowing, and all loving being who is kind of famous for not really being singular anyways wouldn’t have a problem with what referent was used, and would kind of get the point.

“yeah yeah, he said “we” when he should have said “I”, no biggie, We obviously know what he meant, and what the purpose was, baptism considered valid”…

Even if you bought into the belief system, it would seem to be selling an omnipotent being a bit short to think that the pronoun this guy used mattered one shit.

2 Likes

And yet, original sin is apparently a thing. If it’s “ok” for humans to be born a sinner, seems perfectly on brand for God to also be a grammar nazi.

2 Likes

“Oh, wait, are you wearing cloth made of mixed fibers? In that case, you and everyone you baptized are going to hell, forever.”

Biblical god is the most pedantic jerk in the entire universe.

5 Likes

Exactly. Either the pronoun doesn’t matter (and wearing cotton/poly shirts is cool too), or you’re doomed for eating shrimp.

4 Likes

I first heard that this was the second way to make holy water during catechism, spoken by an actual priest. So make of that what you will.

2 Likes

Maybe the dude has worms.

2 Likes

Anyone can baptise someone else in the Catholic church, they don’t even need to be baptised themselves if it’s an emergency.

2 Likes

Jesus wept.

1 Like

Heck, even Archie could do it.

2 Likes

I think they must have missed this part:

[He] hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Cor 3:6

4 Likes

Yep, If you don’t get that symbolism rite the magic has no effect. Pass me that rabbit’s foot and the four-leaf clover won’t you?

Dunno why anyone is perturbed - that’s what reincarnation is for. Get it right next time around.

Just cause they hand out free tastes of holy water to get the kids hooked, doesn’t mean it’s total anarchy.

Oddly enough I know a woman who was politely asked to leave for trying this.

Priest ratted her out to both the parents and their Rabbi.

Can’t trust anybody these days.

3 Likes