Principal forces high school girl to kneel so he can check if her skirt is too short

Two things.

1. Alcohol may have been (heavily) involved. :wink:
  2. I completely agree with your latest comment about respect.
1 Like

She should have known better because she knew the rules. I’m not going to argue whether the rules are right or justified, but they are the current rules in place. As far as zero tolerance…I’m pretty sure a state trooper is going to give me a ticket for doing 90mph on an empty freeway at 3am just like he would if it was 1pm, regardless of the fact there were no other cars around. I was violating a law and that can come with a consequence.

My issue here is the fact she chose to “protest”…and yet decided to go the victim route. She could have waited for her parents and told the principal she wasn’t going to submit to being measured and went home. She could have went to the superintendent or school board…she could have done a lot of things, but she didn’t. Now she’s playing the role of martyr because the principal was doing his job.

And here I always thought it was about teaching them to leer respectfully…
-I’m being somewhat serious in that statement.

1 Like

I meant “get distracted by someone else’s appearance” on their own time, if you have to insist. Too bad school dress codes only ever accuse girls of being distracting to boys, never the other way around.

1 Like

Oh no, that’s what I thought you meant. I can certainly appreciate the female form without acting like a Neanderthal about it…can’t say that about some of the guys I went to high school/college/or work with…so yeah.

2 Likes

When I first started my job as a high school art teacher, I was kind of irritated during the bit of our training where they covered the dresscode, when the hypothetical infracting student was invariably referred to as “she,” and we were given little 5" tall ‘measuring cards’ (basically index cards with ruler marks printed down the side) we were supposed to use to measure the distance of the skirt form the knee. As my first year went on, I also noticed that girls were disproportionately targeted by the dress code, both because it targeted gendered garb like leggings, and because in practice teachers tended to enforce it more with girls even w/r/t gender neutral garb (when male athletes and other students wear tank tops to school, they are technically in violation of the dress code, but girls are much more likely to be targeted for having their shoulders exposed).

Personally, I don’t have the time to waste instructional time policing my kids’ wardrobes, or teaching them to be ashamed of their bodies, or whatever. I’ve got, you know, actual shit to teach. Amazingly, despite the fact that I don’t write up girls for wearing tank tops or leggings, our art room hasn’t devolved into some bacchanalian disaster.

And in the unlikely event that someday a male student actually does try to claim his behavior or distraction was the result of some female student’s outfit, I’m going to hold, you know, the actual misbehaving student responsible, not the student he was ogling.

13 Likes

Literally everything is creepy without consent. Especially every sexual thing. Why single out BDSM as ‘creepy’?

6 Likes

You’re eyeballing it wrong. You’re estimating the distance from the bottom of her dress to the top of her knee. It should be the bottom of her knee. Actually, the rules specifically says that it is to be measured while kneeling.

The school’s handbook is in fact available online. It’s inaccessible at the moment, probably from all the people trying to get to it. But Google has a cached copy. Here’s the relevant part.

“Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be no more than six (6) inches from the floor while kneeling. Also, holes in jeans, pants, or the above-named apparel must be no more than six (6) inches from the floor while kneeling. This six (6) inch rule will apply regardless of leggings, hosiery, or other undergarments worn with shorts, skirts, and dresses. Pajama pants and yoga pants are prohibited. Tights and leggings CANNOT be worn as standalone garments.”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://echs.edmonson.k12.ky.us/echs-student-handbook/

1 Like

The thing you’re missing is that the student handbook specifically mentions that the measurement is to be done while kneeling.

Let’s pretend for a minute that the principal was technically correct. (Actually could be the case)

The rule is fucking retarded and fixes nothing. I don’t drop the F bomb lightly.

3 Likes

“This six (6) inch rule will apply regardless of leggings, hosiery, or other undergarments worn with shorts, skirts, and dresses”

From the school’s student handbook.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://echs.edmonson.k12.ky.us/echs-student-handbook/

Gee, if it says it in a book, it must be true…
/s

5 Likes

I don’t actually have a very modern moral compass, so it’s often hard for me. I think actually my moral compass was made a few thousand years before Christ somewhere in Macedonia or Greece, so all I ask is that people understand my technical limitations! But despite my limits I do try to understand and follow your modern world’s theoretical preference for compassion and understanding* when dealing with authoritarian jerks who should be stomped to death.

*note: some of these concepts are limited by modern world to financially well-off white men.

yeah stupid teenagers that are not considered capable of fully adult reasoning by society and science should totally pick the best way of handling any situation and not complain about the traumatising stuff they go through when they don’t pick the best way!

also in order to make sure she is totally following the rules she should have worn an ankle length dress because then there would not have been any suspicion she might have been breaking the rules. and then a male authority figure could not have forced her to walk in various ways just so he could see a little bit extra teenie skin. what was she thinking!

8 Likes

Which is only an issue if she routinely walked about with her hands in the air followed by her breaking both of her arms while trying to kneel with no friend in sight to put her skirt back into place.

Leaving just three possibilities. Which are not mutually exclusive. Hodges is sexist. Hodges is a pervert. Hodges is an idiot.

6 Likes

All y’all are missing a huge glaring point staring you, no, bashing you in the face!

Girl is walking around campus. She’s in the parking lot, principal comes up, “kneel so I can measure your skirt!”

Girl is in the cafeteria with her friends eating lunch. Principal comes up, “kneel so I can measure your skirt!”

Girl is in the middle of class, principal comes up, gets her out of class, “kneel so I can measure your skirt!”

See it yet?

7 Likes

dafuq? you went to school in the 18th century?

1 Like

No, that’s just the level of intellect Christian Scientist allow themselves to rise to. They also are anti-vax, and pretty much reject all other medicine besides setting bones, because setting bones was what doctors had down pat when that cult started.

5 Likes

we do have private schools in Germany, some of them run by religious groups. but I don’t think they could pull such a stunt; private schools don’t can make rules endangering pupils on a whim, the regulation framework is valid for all types of schools.

3 Likes

No, you see, in the US, the RFRA means that not allowing crackpots endanger or even cause their own children’s deaths totally avoidably is the same thing as religious persecution. Because dominionists think “god’s law” is above the laws most of us people who actually exist agreed on.

9 Likes