Prisoners sent to Christian "rehab" diversion programs find themselves in forced-labor camps

My rehab diversion program is to do drugs instead of going to rehab.

13 Likes

Better in the cellar or a rundown shed as long as its escape proof and wretched

3 Likes

It’s slavery. I don’t care what your damned constitution says.

Time to globally enact, ratify, and enforce the Cherwell Convention. With prejudice.

13 Likes

I love it.

America’s fig leaf.

10 Likes

Once the court system takes ownership of someone their options are limited to breathing and that’s not guaranteed.

3 Likes

It’s a business opportunity to the sorry-ass bastards that prey instead of pray

5 Likes

I preferred it when God would strike you dead for not being communist enough.

10 Likes

Especially if you’re in Milwaukee or Maricopa counties…(Clarke and Arpaio).

Not disagreeing, but a reminder that, in the USA, there is a large difference between “Christian” and “white Christian”.

There are plenty of liberal-to-left Christians in the USA. But few of them are white.

8 Likes

Yes. It’s where the undeserving poor go. If they deserved to be rich, they would be. God makes no mistakes.

2 Likes

Sure he saves… He saves the people who run the program big $$$$!

3 Likes

I agree with you and that’s why I tried to qualify it with Christian as a term. Predators have recognized the power of the “brand” christian and employ it as a camouflage for their crimes against humanity. Really it compounds their vile intent because it drags all Christians under the umbrella of the vultures who swarm to the scent of death.

For what its worth I really don’t have any problem with avian vultures either.

7 Likes

There are certainly many exceptions; but it isn’t uncommon to find that “liberal-to-left” can mean slightly different things.

Certainly less likely to subscribe to the “There is no god but Supply Side Jesus(except Mammon) and Ronald Reagan is his Prophet” stuff; but the results on something like gay marriage…less so. These Pew numbers are a few years old; but they generally do decent work in the area:

For 2011-2012: “Total Protestants” are 33%/58%/9% for “favor”/“oppose”/“don’t know”
White Evangelical: 16/77/7
White Mainline: 53/37/10
Black Protestant: 31/58/10.

“Total Catholics” are 51/38/11
White Catholics, 53/37/10
Hispanic Catholics: 45/40/15.

There is some further interesting dicing by frequency of religious attendance(more than halves White evangelical protestant support: 26% among less-than-weekly; only 11% among weekly or more; White mainline goes from 55% among less than weekly to 48% among weekly or more; Black protestant goes from 41% to 22%; unfortunately they don’t seem to include Hispanic catholics, so no comparison there); and age; but more or less across the board Black protestants are less hardcore than White evangelicals; but markedly more illiberal than White mainline(With ‘Unaffiliated’, especially under age 50, not surprisingly turning in higher numbers than any of them).

As noted, the differences are visible even in this area, and markedly larger when you get into blessed-be-the-invisible-hand-and-the-American-Empire stuff; but it’s much more of a “are actually viable coalition partners for liberals” thing than a “Wow, are actually liberals” one.

2 Likes

Yeah; a consequence of US white supremacy is that virtually all PoC have been forced into supporting the Democrats, regardless of their politics. Black conservatives have nowhere else to go [1].

OTOH, keep in mind that, from my perspective, “liberal” is pretty right wing already.

[1] Trump’s handful of pet PoC are not conservatives.

4 Likes

Wait wasn’t this part of the plot from A Scanner Darkly?

2 Likes

Just to reinforce for a second why this is more than just a financial scam:

I grew up amongst junkies. Y’know who most of the young people who end up with heavy drug problems are?

Abuse survivors. Gay kids. Trans kids. Homeless kids. Mentally ill kids. Aspie kids. Outcasts.

Broken, imprisoned, enslaved, abused. Over and over and over again.

17 Likes

Sounds a lot like indentured servitude as the British used it back in the day. Give convicted prisoners the choice between servitude or death (if they refuse, escape and/or return). Not a real choice in other words.

3 Likes

As all of America does today. It never stopped.

To excerpt the most relevant bit (but I recommend listening to the whole thing, it’s awesome):

The Slavers lost the war but won the peace.

11 Likes

Among the bits of the New Testament that American fundie Prots like to pass over while cherrypicking is that awkward passage generally known as the “Sermon on the mount”.

I’ve said it before and will say it again before I’m done: Much “Christianity” today is basically the State religion of the Roman Empire, with various embellishments.

7 Likes
1 Like