Jailer-owned "Christian business" forced inmates to make cornhole games

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Wow - they had to smuggle out a coded message? Is habeas corpus only for yankees and liberals?

9 Likes

In this case, the medium was primarily the message. The … things, whatever they were … had hidden marks on them made by inmates, thus refuting the claims they were made by non-inmate labor.

If the inmate had merely said, though a lawyer or letter, “hey, we made those” there wouldn’t have been any proof.

12 Likes

Now Office Space makes a lot more sense:

7 Likes

If Office Space didn’t make sense to you prior to a few minutes ago, then consider your work life charmed.

11 Likes

…that’s not what they were referring to.

this might help

5 Likes

Welcome to the Cornhole Games. May the cobs be ever in your favor.

8 Likes

“Christian” business?
Christ: “What assholes.”

19 Likes

To be precise, “You cannot serve God and Money”.

The quote you won’t ever hear from a televangelist.

[edit - you know how in the earlier English versions it read “You cannot serve God and Mammon”? The New Testament has always been a bit too strong for the people who think if they try really hard, they will get that mooring rope (gimel, camel, was actually slang for a mooring rope at the time) through the eye of that needle.]

10 Likes

I do consider my work life charmed, but the word cornhole never really made any sense until now. Clearly Lawrence is warning Peter that he was going to be slave labor for the lawn recreation industry up at the FPMITA prison.

2 Likes

Christian rednecks suuuuuure do love them some cornholin’

4 Likes

One thing is for sure: There will be a new PAID employee that INSPECTS THE HELL out of things before they ship.

10 Likes

Cornhole boards. You take turns tossing dried-corn beanbags at the board, trying to get your bags in the hole and knock your opponent’s bags off the edge of the board.

It’s a popular lawn game around here, gets dragged out for picnics and fairs and such. It’s not well-known outside of the midwest, so urban sophisticates like to pretend it’s some incomprehensible white-trash thing and put it in scare quotes.

6 Likes

There’s a long tradition of people trying to interpret “camel through the eye of a needle” to mean something other than what it was clearly intended to mean - e.g. deciding the “eye of the needle” was a town gate (through which a camel could presumably pass quite easily…). The American right frequently talk about their two important books being the Bible and one of Ayn Rand’s works, without any apparent recognition of the cognitive dissonance going on.

8 Likes

I’m going to guess they didn’t have the legal rights to all the various sports logos and such, either…

2 Likes

Napper told the AP “It’s under investigation, so I can’t comment on it, but I can tell you that it didn’t happen and we aren’t using prisoners as slave labour and I had sex with my assistant at lunch. Other than that i can’t comment. Ongoing investigation, don’t you know. Which will find us not guilty. I mean, which I am sure will find us not guilty. Of anything. Because we’re not. But I can’t comment on the story.”

2 Likes

Ok, was I the only one that nervously did a google search for “Cornhole game” expecting it to be some sort of sex thing?

3 Likes

“It is easier for a rich man to pass through an eye of a needle than it is for a camel to…”

2 Likes

No, I went immediate to this, which shows my age, I’m sure.

8 Likes