Tennessee lawmaker defends operating an unregistered "Christian magic supply" business

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/exodus-22-18.html

3 Likes

State: “Lwmakers should be required to follow the law.”

Hill: “But it’s a Christian business! And I’m really bad at it! So no, I should not have to follow the law.”

But, IOKIYAR.

23 Likes

Did the Russians suddenly have an uptick in Christian magicians?

6 Likes

com-optimize%20(1)

33 Likes

That reminds of something Jesus said once…

“Give onto Ceasar which is Ceasar’s… by that I mean funnel your money into a Little Ceasar’s franchise you bought to keep the tax man off your back.”

Read that it was in 2 Trumpinthians according to a recent pamphlet put by a Evangelical group.

18 Likes

Was Gob Bluth a customer?

5 Likes

Aren’t there parts of the Old Testament that are quite down on magic?

I guess those are the “don’t count because Jesus” optional bits.

15 Likes

Finally, we know where these props were sourced.

9 Likes

So, do they sell water walking sandals and wine/fish/bread cloning tricks?

9 Likes

I’ve heard that you can hypnotize snakes to hold stiff to do the Moses snake-staff trick.

3 Likes

Bullshit—what about all those coins he removed from behind children’s ears?

17 Likes

Dude’s obviously a charlatan, and there are other reasons why he needed to register but I must note that business registration varies pretty widely around the country. Here in MA, for most businesses you can register a DBA (Doing Business As) at your local town hall and start making money. No need to register with the state, except to pay taxes and workman’s comp and stuff. Of course you don’t get any of the legal protection of a corporation, but you would still have a legal business.

4 Likes

Poor dude. Laundry tokens. :frowning:

3 Likes

What about that old “raise the dead” trick? I’m tellin’ ya, Lazarus had a living stand-in double. Probably hiding out in a nearby home.

5 Likes

That’s very handy, they should branch out into boat equipment.

2 Likes

Is that “Roman Soldier” to the right of White Jesus really wearing socks with his sandals?

4 Likes

Back in those days it was much easier. They couldn’t really test very well if someone was dead so Lazarus just put on some pale makeup and lay very still. Jesus just had to wipe off the paint and Lazarus could get up pretending to be back from the dead.

4 Likes

Whoohoo! My local state representative (really) making good!

Good on his continuing ability to embarrass the heck out of anyone who lives in his district who has an ounce of intelligence, that is.

4 Likes

With stripes! ISTR that the Romans actually HAD socks, but they were for postings up North… A nice thing to have when you’re patronling Hadrian’s wall in the winter. And I think that they were made from woven wool rather than knit.

6 Likes

It’s Christian magic!

They turn bullshit into money!

9 Likes